Hi, I am having duplicate 'boot line' options in my boot-up window. The first gets me into my machine, the second takes me to:
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."
I had originally installed from CD.
I was advise to get easycbd, which I did but when I ran it it took me to a window which gave options to "Locate Valid BCD Store". I thought I had done something wrong in downloading application so deleted. I downloaded second time.
Now when I try to run it I get the message "The boot confirmation could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified. Manual requires Vista/y boot loader."

gnuma

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Could we have a look at this?
"Start Windows, then go CP > System > Advanced tab, Startup n Recovery Settings button. Click the Edit button. A notepad should pop with your boot.ini file. You can post it here for our guidance on editing it.
[Just occasionally, during installation Setup will leave an entry that controls its automatic restart during installation; it may be that..or a spurious entry with a misconfigured disk parameter, all fixable]"

HI, Gerbil
Forgive my noviceness. I went to Control Panel>System but I don't find an Advanced Tab. what didn't I do?

Ok Gerbil

I think this is it

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

gnuma

Hi, gnuma...
"I went to Control Panel>System but I don't find an Advanced Tab. what didn't I do?"... Beats me. Does entering this into the Run box go there directly?:
control sysdm.cpl ,3
But anyway.... the following should work for you:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

So go back to where you got that file from, delete the second disk config line in the Notepad and go File, Save. And that is it.
The second disk configuration line with rdisk(1) in it refers to a second hard drive which you obviously don't have installed, so ntldr throws up that error message. In fact, rdisk(x) is the position of your disk on the mb adapter. With EIDE controllers and most setups, the primary boot drive is on the first adapter, so is rdisk(0)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.