I've been trying to set up my computer so that I can remote in to it while I'm away from home but it doesn't seem to be working. At first, I thought the problem may be with my router not forwarding the ports properly or something like that but when I tried to test the connection internally (I.e.: within my home network) I found that I couldn't connect through remote desktop at all. At this point I figured it's a firewall issue but it didn't work even with the firewall completely turned off.

Remote Desktop services are running.
Remote Desktop is listening on the default port (3389).
Firewall is off so the ports are definitely not blocked.
Can ping the computer by both hostname and IP without problem.
Cannot connect through Remote Desktop by either hostname or IP.
Computer is on the same workgroup as all other computers on the network.
Other computers on the network can be remoted to without problem.
All computers are using XP Professional.

I just can't figure out what the problem could be. Is there anything I may have missed?

After I've sorted out the problem connecting to it internally, then I'll work on getting it to work externally.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I've set users which can connect and made sure they have passwords but it's the connection that isn't working, not the logging in. It doesn't even get to the log in prompt.

Did you enabled the Check Mark in the Remote PC and Add the users from the Dialog Box they have Provided.

If you are Connecting to that PC other than Administrator you have to Add the Specific user into that Section.

Good Luck

what does the error message say when you try RDP?
leave your firewall on,just click the 'exceptions' tab in firewall properties
check the 'dependence' tab properties of your remote desktop service

sorry for posting twice in a row...
make sure host has a password-protected admin account
check group policy on host(maybe that computer is zombified)haha because only 1 user is allowed to be logged in

I have already done all that has been suggested. I can use that computer to connect to other computers but I just can't connect to it. I can't remember the error message I was getting when I try to connect to it so I'll have to get back to you with that.

I had to set up a remote desktop to provide support between Winnipeg (me) and Phoenix (user). Machines at both ends were behind routers. I spent days trying to get Remote Desktop working (something which works astonishingly well when both machines are on the same domain and not separated by firewalls) with no success. I ended up just using TeamViewer and was very pleased with the results. It's free and can be downloaded from www.teamviewer.com. You can run it as a portable (no installation required) app.

Remote desktop is my only option.

I can't install software on the computer I would be l using to access my computer.

You don't have to install TeamViewer. You can run it as a portable app off a USB stick - no installation required so the computer you are using does not get "polluted".

2 questions:

1. What port does TeamViewer run on?
2. Is there a linux client?

1) 5938 (I think)
2) yes (also OSX for Mac)

You can get the manual (PDF) at http://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/index.aspx

To connect to a computer (the host), the host user would typically run TeamViewer. The user is presented with a 9 digit ID and a 4 digit password. The user would then tell you both numbers and you would use these to connect with the remote computer. In order to connect to an unattended computer you obviously can't have this interactive exchange of connection numbers so you first have to set up a (free) account with TeamViewer and leave TeamViewer running on the host computer. You would then log in to TeamViewer on the remote computer using the same account. Following that you can connect to the host computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.