My hp hdx18 screen goes black while windows is still running...it happens randonly and i think this is beause hp laptops heat up too much when u use them for more then 2 or 3 hours on continuous basis

Yep, laptop designers cunningly place the heatsinks and air vents right where your lap is likely to block them. They are the same people that filled the Hindenburg with Hydrogen.
Laptops are a favourite with Eskimos.

i use a Compaq laptop ,and know when my leg starts to burn it time to move the laptop to allow for air flow ,lol

Guys, this is an old thread. You know?

commented: Don't give yourself rep. -3

This thread has not been very helpful in solving the problem for me. I have the problem to where when the screen goes black it still works on an external monitor. I was doing this via vga but I tried reinstalling the video drivers to see if that would fix it and now the vga port no longer works and when I try installing other video drivers it says it can't recognize my hardware. It seems to be the video card as it only does it after it's been running for a while and won't come back unless I just the computer off for a few minutes. I want to make sure it is the video card before replacing it. Does anyone have any other suggestions. This is for an HP dv6000.

It may be an old thread, but it's still a problem for many. Could be the inverter ($20) or the backlight-CCFL ($15)

It may be an old thread, but it's still a problem for many. Could be the inverter ($20) or the backlight-CCFL ($15)

If everyone was to do that, all dead thread will be revive. Posters facing the same problem have threads dating back to 2004 and 2003. Do you guys want to revive that as well. How much effort does it take to just start a new thread and post inside it.

Need help, this also happens to me on regular basis! Although my screen can go any color, not just black, and it depends on the background I'm having on the screen at the moment - it can be pink, white, blue, green, yellow... and usually they are pale colors. I don't know what's happening, it doesn't react to anything - the laptop is running, just the screen is non responsive. HELP!

ANSWER
It definitely sounds like it has something to do with the battery being worn out, though it still seems a bit odd. It seems that your computer keeps switching between battery power and power from your charger, which is what's causing the screen to dim and then brighten up again.

You see, laptops usually have separate settings for when they're running off battery than when they're plugged into an outlet to help save on power. Unless you specifically turn off the power saving features, when running off battery the screen will automatically dim, the screen saver will turn on earlier, the screen will shut off earlier, and the computer will go into hibernation mode earlier than it would if it was plugged into an outlet.

In any case, I'm not exactly sure why your laptop would be switching between battery power and outlet power when it's plugged in, but battery is definitely part of, if not all of, the problem. The being said, the first thing you should do turn off the power saving features on your laptop to make sure that's the problem. If you don't have any more problems with the screen dimming, you know it's not serious and all you need is a new battery.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then there's probably something more serious going on with the hardware and I suggest getting your computer sent in for service.

This thread has been dead for 5 months.

I presume that this problem has been resolved within the 5 months.
When the same thing happened to my XP machine it was only a matter
of time before the screen expired altogether.
Hope that you had a more successful outcome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.