I just installed VS.NET 2003 with a lot of difficulties... There was some kind of problem with the windows installer, so I had to do the following to make it work:

Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.
3. Try your Windows Installer-based application again.

I rebooted after this, and it took me to the windows login screen just fine. After I click on my name to start my session, it takes it probably 15 minutes to load everything. The beginning is just a plain screen, then some icons start showing up, and eventually it loads. Even when it is fully loaded I can't click on anything or it will freeze up.

I thought about doing a repair install, but for some reason when I choose to boot from CD it says it's checking hardware components and then goes to a black screen. I dual boot with linux, so that could be the problem.

What exactly should I do? I was able to run CHKDSK, but that didn't help any. I would like to keep my stuff if it's possible!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are you on a LAN? Disable LAN connection and then try again.

If you dont have any LAN then logon from another user account and see if its working fine.

I'm not on LAN and I don't have any other accounts. This is such a weird problem. I don't understand how those simply commands I ran would cause something like this. Nothing seems to fix it. I believe it's GOT to be some process running in the background created by this command.

I appreciate the response.

See if you can starttup in safe mode, and run system restore from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.