Hi,

Just recently my friend's brother helped me upgrade my PC and I have found it a big mess! I need help desperately! I have a SONY VIO laptop and I still have all the recovery CDs with me. I couldn't find any posting regarding reformatting computer with Window 2000. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with step-by-step instruction. Thank you!

W

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When using manufacturer-supplied recovery disks, the restore/reinstall/reformat will vary between makes and models of computers. You should be able to find instructions for your particular model of Vaio on Sony's support site, but if not, give us the exact model number and we'll help you from there.

When using manufacturer-supplied recovery disks, the restore/reinstall/reformat will vary between makes and models of computers. You should be able to find instructions for your particular model of Vaio on Sony's support site, but if not, give us the exact model number and we'll help you from there.

Hi,

Thank you so much for writing. I just checked SONY website but I didn't find any step-by-step instruction of formatting the kind of computer I have. I own a VIO notebook, model PCG-R505JLK, using Microsoft 2000 Professional. I am planning to purchase a new one in the end of the year and now I just want to have this one fix so I can at least get on-line and use Word. Any help will be so much appreciated!

W

From Sony KnowledgeBase Article #C151965:

How to perform a recovery with format.

Follow this procedure to perform a recovery with format.
WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. All software applications, configurations, and data added to the restored drives will be erased.
IMPORTANT:

• The PCGA DVD51 DVD51/A external drive is not supported for use with this notebook.
  • The optional PCGA DSD5 DSM5 Transport Docking Station or another 100% ATAPI compliant CD/DVD drive must be used.
  • When using the PCGA CDRW51 or CDRW52 to perform a recovery, ensure the switch on the bottom of the unit [FIG. 1] is switched to Recovery. The PCGA CDRW52 must be powered by its own AC adapter to perform a recovery.
  1. Connect the computer to the optional PCGA DSD5 DSM5 Transport Docking Station.
  2. Insert System Recovery CD #1 into the CD/DVD drive.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. In the System Recovery CD window, press the O key to select OK.IMPORTANT: If a warning appears that the (D:)drive is not found, additional input is required.
  5. In the MAIN MENU window, press the 2 key to select Full Restore with Format Drive (C:) and (D:).
  6. In the System Recovery CD window, press the Y key to select Yes to initiate Full Restore with Format.
  7. In the All data will be removed from the hard drive window, press Y to select Yes to continue.
  8. When prompted to insert CD #2, remove System Recovery CD #1.
  9. Insert System Recovery CD #2 into the CD/DVD drive.
  10. Press the Enter key to continue.
  11. When prompted to insert CD #1, remove System Recovery CD #2.
  12. Insert System Recovery CD #1 into the CD/DVD drive.
  13. Press the Enter key to continue.
  14. In the Remove the System Recovery CD window, remove System Recovery CD #1.
  15. Press the ENTER key to restart the computer.
  16. New hardware will be detected and installed on the system. In the Restart the Computer window, click Yes to restart the computer.
  17. The setup wizard will start. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the wizard.
  18. In the Log On to Windows window, in the User name box, type Administrator.
  19. Click the OK button.IMPORTANT: The Administrator account does not require a password in the default configuration.
  20. In the Insert Application Recovery CD #1. window, insert Application Recovery CD #1 into the CD/DVD drive.
  21. Click the OK button.
  22. In the Please Insert your Microsoft WORD 2002 CD window, click Cancel.IMPORTANT: If the word processing installation is not canceled, there will not be a prompt to enter a unique Product ID for the application. Without the unique Product ID, activation or registration of the application may not be allowed.
  23. In the Sony Application Recovery Program window, remove the Application Recovery CD.
  24. Click OK to restart the computer.
  25. To install Microsoft® Word 2002, insert the Microsoft® Word 2002 CD into the CD/DVD drive.
  26. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  27. When the installation has completed, click the OK button to restart the computer.
  28. Download and install all available driver and software updates for this model from the Sony® eSupport Web site at http://esupport.sony.com.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your instruction. It is very helpful. I did finish the system installation, however, I don't recall a MS Word CD came with the computer when I purchased. Maybe I lost it?! Is there anyway that I can download it on-line?

Another question is, do you know how I can connect to the internet with cable? I have Time Warner cable service and I used to have wireless network set-up done by my friend (using Linksys). The other computer now is directly hooked up with the cable line due to the failure of our wireless network. I wonder if I could just hook the cable line to my PC to make it online? Please help!

I really appreciate all your help. THANK YOU!

W

I don't recall a MS Word CD came with the computer when I purchased. Maybe I lost it?! Is there anyway that I can download it on-line?

You might be able to get a replacement disk from either Sony or Microsoft, but you'll have to be able to prove that you owned/payed for the original Office or Word package that come with the computer (if Word really did come with your computer; it may not have).

I have Time Warner cable service and I used to have wireless network set-up done by my friend (using Linksys). The other computer now is directly hooked up with the cable line due to the failure of our wireless network. I wonder if I could just hook the cable line to my PC to make it online? Please help!

You can only hook up one computer at a time to the cable modem, but with cable service, it doesn't usually matter what computer is connected; these days most cable Internet providers store the necessary logon/verification information in the modem itself. When you switch computers on a cable modem, you usually need to turn off the modem and computer first, connect the two, and then turn the modem back on first, and then turn on the the computer. The modem should them "shake hands" with the new computer and let it on line.

I Wish to re format my Windows7.
I have my Windows 7 Dell Disc,
my Computer is Dell XPS 420.
please someone help me.
thelmafay1

I Wish to re format my Windows7.
I have my Windows 7 Dell Disc,
my Computer is Dell XPS 420.
please someone help me.
thelmafay1

put win7 dvd in the dvd drive and reboot computer ,booting to dvd drive and just simply follow the prompts .its that easy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.