Hello all:

I have been having trouble our home PC. We recently hooked it up to the Internet for a few days without a firewall or any virus protection out of obligation. Stupid move. The computer began running slower and slower as it had come down with several viruses. I ran Ad-Aware SE Personal and another virus program...I believe it was called Watchdog. Anyhow, everything seemed to be in working order. The computer was running at normal speed again, so I shut down the computer and left it overnight. The next morning, I turned on the power switch, and a black screen was displayed saying something to the effect of "A fatal error has occured," and it gave me 4 options:
1) Boot in safe mode
2) Boot in safe mode with networking
3) Boot in safe mode with command prompt
4) Restore computer settings to last working configuration

No matter which of the 4 options I choose, it begins loading what appear to be the drivers and stops. I'm rather confused. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the drivers was deleted while running the virus scans? I know that is probably a 1 in a trillion chance, but it's the only feasible idea I can come up with. What should I do? Should I reset the BIOS? Reload Windows? Any ideas would be much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

It sounds like you need to reinstall windows. If you have data on the system you need you can take the hard drive out and put into another computer. BUT, be very careful only grab the data you need and scan for viruses before you access the attached drive. If you are not familiar with master/slave and hooking up a hard drive you can pick up an external hard drive case pretty cheap. http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/SubCategory.asp?SubCategory=92

AJZ

Wait a sec...does the list of drivers being loaded display on screen? If this is true, your system is starting up in safe mode. When doing this, after loading some drivers, the system does appear as though nothing is happening, while it is. Don't worry. Let the boot process continue. If after 5-10 minutes too nothing happens, restart the computer.

If I choose any of the first 3 options, it displays the list of drivers on the screen and hangs endlessly. I let it sit for approximately 3 hours in hopes it would finally catch and boot, but it stays on the list of drivers screen. If I choose option #4--Restore computer settings to last working configuration--it goes to a black screen and stays there. I can't get any of the typical buttons (F2, F8, F10, or delete) to let me have access to anything, so when I restart the computer, it starts the whole process over again...4 options leading to the same screens. Any ideas?

I hate to say it, but I think reformat is the only other option. ;)

Have you tried Advanced recovery?If you have not .Restart you pc and press F10.And do the advanced recovery.If that doesn't work.Un plug your pc,and remove your ps's battery.Let it sat for about 10 minutes,then in stall the battery,and plug it in.
Then check if it will re start.
If it does not restart.Then try to do the advanced recovery.
The only thing I don't like about advanced recovery,Is you will need to down load all the microsoft updates.
That takes alot of time.

when i press f10 the following message appears
"Stop c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session Manager Initialization process terminated unexpectedly with status of (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shutdown

Does anyone know how i can resolve this error

04Ayasin,
You should start a new post, this thread is almost a year old. BTW you might want to add more information to your post if you would like a response i.e. OS, when the system hangs, any errors in event viewer, etc, etc.....

Hello all,
I am a newbie here and fairly new to pc repairs etc, I have been given an Intel Pentium desktop pc that won't fully boot up. It gets to the verifying pool data screen and shortly after that the system just dies and attempts to reboot again and again.

I just don't have a clue what to do with it can anyone help, the OS is windows XP home ed.

Thanks Kevin

Windows XPHome Edition must be registered within 30 days (maybe 45 days). If you do not register, something bad will happen. Maybe this is the bad thing?

I suggest you set your CD Drive to boot drive, insert your setup disk and UPGRADE. Keep the same format. Don't change anything. Don't format. Just Upgrade. You don't lose any files except maybe audio and video drivers. During the setup process it will check for existing Video and audio but sometimes these files get deleted when a computer crashes. If so, it will boot in VgaSafe Video mode.

When you finally get to desktop, you can load your drivers, if required.

Windows XPHome Edition must be registered within 30 days (maybe 45 days). If you do not register, something bad will happen. Maybe this is the bad thing?

I suggest you set your CD Drive to boot drive, insert your setup disk and UPGRADE. Keep the same format. Don't change anything. Don't format. Just Upgrade. You don't lose any files except maybe audio and video drivers. During the setup process it will check for existing Video and audio but sometimes these files get deleted when a computer crashes. If so, it will boot in VgaSafe Video mode.

When you finally get to desktop, you can load your drivers, if required.

Hi thanks for your message. but its fully registered version and has been registered with microsoft already. but thanks again

Hi thanks for your message. but its fully registered version and has been registered with microsoft already. but thanks again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.