i have a classic VAIO SR7k notebook with a bad PCMCIA slot which has prohibited me from using the SONY PCMCIA CDROM drive. this means that i can't use the SONY system restore CDs since they require the SONY CDROM to run. bad SONY. i have an external LaCie firewire CDRW and i have created a floppy boot disk (USB floppy drive) using rawrite.exe. unfortunately i don't know the correct script in config.sys to tell the startup to look at the firewire port and the LaCie drive. the firewire drivers are part of windows 2k so i don't know what script to use for the driver either. any help would be appreicated.
the current script in config.sys on the boot floppy is:

BUFFERS 99
devicehigh=\sys\ansi.sys
;device=\sys\himen.sys /testmem:off
device=\sys\va16365.sys/ne
device=\sys\va16cd.sys/D:MSCD001

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You should put this thread in "Troubleshooting PCs".

It isn't Windows that chooses which OS to boot (even though MS would like it to be that way :cheesy:), it's the BIOS. You need to configure the BIOS's boot sequence. You also need to make sure that your BIOS and the hard drive support firewire booting.

You should put this thread in "Troubleshooting PCs".

It isn't Windows that chooses which OS to boot (even though MS would like it to be that way :cheesy:), it's the BIOS. You need to configure the BIOS's boot sequence. You also need to make sure that your BIOS and the hard drive support firewire booting.

the problem is that windows 2k bios doesn't look for firewire devices only the original SONY CDROM. i saw an old article by someone who modified the config.sys on the boot floppy to recognize a different drive. i'm just hoping that same process can be done for the LaCie firewire. i will post this on the other forum.
thanks

the problem is that windows 2k bios doesn't look for firewire devices only the original SONY CDROM. i saw an old article by someone who modified the config.sys on the boot floppy to recognize a different drive. i'm just hoping that same process can be done for the LaCie firewire. i will post this on the other forum.
thanks

thanks...i read that article actually. i've created a boot floppy that will allow for another CDROM drive other than the original SONY. however, i haven't been able to make it work with the aspi1394.sys firewire driver. i don't think the startup looks at the firewire port, only the nonfunctional pcmcia slot and the usb. maybe a usb cdrom will work but i'd like to use the LaCie firewire CDROM since i have it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.