Hello all,
first of all I want to let you know that I tried to find the right spot to put this topic in...Anyways, I am finishing my new computer which is nothing but a gaming machine but right now I am using my other computer which contains the program called Compaq System Recovery so here is my problem. I am trying to find a program that is exactly or close to Compaq System Recovery. This allows me to tell my hard drive to go back to the factory shipped condition and delete all of the things I have installed myself. I used this feature many times through the years and it works everytime. It does this by selecting a part of the hardrive (partition maybe?) that will be protected and it will contain all of my system and operating information. Nothing will get in or get out of that part of the hard drive I am not a programing techy guy so I hope there is something out there that can do something very similar to this. I heard programs like Ghost and Acronis but I heard both were so buggy and sometimes can ruin your hard drive and it is usually not compatible with Raid 0 setups for the hard drives. This is something I want to avoid. I also heard of programs that are free that can do what exactly I want. I hope there is something out there which is mostly bug free and that is reliable for what I need. I hope I gave enough information. If not please tell me to add more info. Thanks guys!

Here is some details about my computer specs: two 150gb WD Hard Drives and two 74gb WD Hard Drives. The two 74 HD will make it to be 148gb and will be under raid 0 for maximum performance and the same with my other two 150gb HD. The 148gb HD will be holding all of my system information including operating system and my two 150gb HD will hold all of my games. Windows XP Home, Extreme Core 2 DUO, P5N32 Sli Premium.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

There's actually a better option than that.

If you build your machine, set it up the way you want it including network connections, software, etc., then install disk imaging software, you can make your own recovery disks/partitions which restore back to a more useful configuration rather than just the 'factory state'.

Personally, I use Paragon software (currently called Exact Image):

http://www.exact-image.com/

But there's Norton Ghost and Acronis you could also use.

but i heard that there are problems with those programs like acronis and ghost. Is this one more reliable and bug-free? There are so many programs out there, I do not know where to start.

I've never had a problem with it.

Incidentally, I don't know what you've heard about Ghost, but many manufacturers use that - and most of the small PC-building companies I know, too - to quickly put systems together.

The only problem you ever have with a working image is if it gets corrupt or if the disks you put it on get scratched.

I've never had a problem with it.

Incidentally, I don't know what you've heard about Ghost, but many manufacturers use that - and most of the small PC-building companies I know, too - to quickly put systems together.

The only problem you ever have with a working image is if it gets corrupt or if the disks you put it on get scratched.

is this compatible with raid 0 setups?

You really should go to that link I gave an read up on it, but:

Q. Hard disks being supported?
A. The program abilities depend on abilities of the platform the program runs:

Windows 2000/XP/2003:

• IDE, SCSI, SATA, USB & Firewire drives, various RAID controllers including 48-bit ATA.

Taken from the FAQs.

alright thanks, I just wanted to make sure.

but i heard that there are problems with those programs like acronis and ghost. Is this one more reliable and bug-free? There are so many programs out there, I do not know where to start.

non of the progs nowadays work perfectly, as for me i use true image and as far as i use it i didn't have big probs. i think it depends on the situation, for example i know that there were some troubles with cd/dvd burning in home version 9 in true image, but now in version 10 everything alright with it.

here the comparison between Norton Ghost and True Image, read it just in case to find out for what backup is needed.:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/drive-imaging-reviews.htm

also you can get true image for free, they have an action where you can register and download True Image 7, then if you want you can upgrade it to 10, and save about 20$.
http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
P.s.
i used true image for 3 years and the last version is awesome. it's easy to use and you aren't be advanced computer user to use it. al you need is to understrad what you want to do(backup outlook e-mails, the whole system or stand alone files, music, videos etc.) true imahe will do it easily.

These programs mentioned above are all imaging programs ..they create a cluster image of installion on your computer...

There is an alternative solution - an unattended installation.
It is not an image but a special DVD that has everything set up automatically and it is more similar to that compaq CD you are mentioning. You just need to put this DVD into your computer a leave it to do the job automatically..after a while your PC is comletely set up.
I myself use boght it recently and I like it very much, so maybe you could take a look at it here -> www.setupstudio.net
I thinks it is a solution for you as it also supports RAID drivers.

Why would you want to use RAID 0 ? for speed ? , it will give you NO protection and may make recovery with standard software more difficult ?

regards , bart

P.S. use any imaging Acronis, Easus, Ghost they all are very reliable

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.