Hello

This is my first post so please bare with me if it's not up to scratch.

I recently dropped and broke my laptop. I have replaced the laptop and connected the old working hard drive to the new laptop.

I am trying to get some files from my old user account on the old drive but cannot find them in explorer. I know the files are there but I'm assuming that they are potected by my old user account password.

To add to the disaster I have deleted the old windows startup files to save some space so cannot boot from the old drive.

PLEASE HELP!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

it has been my experience that the folders would show ,just when you click on them that you would get the denial ,you are not seeing them for some other reason .
also what windows startup files did you delete .

Thanks for the quick response. I deleted the windows folder and program files folder. Do you know of a program that lists all files more comprehensively than a windows search?

Thanks for the quick response. I deleted the windows folder and program files folder. Do you know of a program that lists all files more comprehensively than a windows search?

Don't know of any programs ,doesn't mean there isn't one ,
i re-read you first post ,so you are saying you cant find them ,i first thought you meant you couldn't see the folders, so what files are you looking for ,can you see/open the documents and settings folder ,do you see the admin and different users folders .
some files you created with different programs are sometimes stored in a folder within that programs folder in the Program Files folder .you said you deleted .Some programs default them to mydocuments

Hi there

You could also in explorer click on

tools
folder options
view
and select '' show hidden files and folders ''
and then OK

Hope this helps

Darren
South Africa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.