I have a year old (purchased october 2005) HP media center pc running win xp. Shortly after boot or after logging in as administrator (or limited user account) I get an error message window stating that KBD.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown. As far as I am concerned this error is not a problem, just annoying. There is no problem typing with the wireless keyboard.
I have learned on the web that KBD.EXE is a program that allows one to re-program the "top" keys on the hp keyboard, and that if you don't want to re-program these (I don't) this error will not cause any trouble.

I'd like to get rid of the message entirely...

In older versions of windows I knew how to find and change which programs were launched at startup (as I assume KBD.EXE is), but I don't know how to do this with XP. Any hints on modifying start up program lists in XP so that I can take KBD.EXE off the list? I don't want to remove the program completely since it is (very slightly) possible that I might want to re-program these keys in the future.

TIA for suggestions

steved

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi Steve

Click start
Click run
type
msconfig
select startup
find KBD.exe and remove the tick .... so it does not load at startup

you will need to restart
a message will appear on restart of XP
tick the box bottom left of message

HTH
Darren
South Africa

Hi Steve

Click start
Click run
type
msconfig
select startup
find KBD.exe and remove the tick .... so it does not load at startup

you will need to restart
a message will appear on restart of XP
tick the box bottom left of message

HTH
Darren
South Africa

I tried this and got the following:
After removing the check mark next to KBD.EXE I clicked OK to save changes and exit msconfig. Got a window (System Configuration is title) that says " An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. Tou may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes."

I did log in with the administrator account that I created when I first started this computer up a bit over a year ago. The account has (as far as I can tell) administrator previliges, but is not called Administrator.

I clicked OK on this error window, then rebooted, logged back in with the same (admin) account and checked the "do not show this message again at boot time" box on the window that appeared after logging in. This brought up the msconfig window again...

I then noticed that my I could make the desired change in the startup tab, but doing so forced the general tab into diagnostic (rather than normal) boot mode. If I clicked the normal boot button and the checked the start tab again, the check mark had been placed back in front of KBD.EXE.

Despite a few cycles through this change, get error, reboot cycle, I am still getting the error message windows from KBD.EXE.

It looks like some HIGHER POWER (Bill Gates, HP,...?) has usurped my admin previleges so I cannot stop windows from starting KBD.EXE using msconfig. Any other suggestions?

TIA,
steved

Click start
Click run
type
regedit

navigate trough the dirs:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
WINDOWS
CURRENTVERSION
RUN

remove KBD.exe

Regards Niek

Can I use my wireless HP keyboard with a Gateway computer? Do I also need a wireless mouse?

Yes. It should be able to work since it is universal. If you are using a USB mouse I don't see why you should switch to a wireless one all of the sudden.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.