This morning my HP Pavilion 7915 worked fine. Then I got some kind of update from Adobe and tried to run it. It said it was already there, and asked if I wanted to overwrite or put it elsewhre. I could do neither.

Also, I believe I may have had an Internet Explorer Update. The icon now looks different when the application shows on the taskbar.

Then I tried logging onto internet, and Internet Explorer won't allow me to, saying "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I called my dsl server and they confirmed the modem is OK (it works well with my wireless laptop).

On the Network Diagnostics page for XP it shows everything OK except under Connectivity it says "FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp microsoft.com. A connection with the server could not be established."

What does all this mean and what can I do?

Thanks,

khgibson (first time poster)

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Also, I believe I may have had an Internet Explorer Update. The icon now looks different when the application shows on the taskbar.

(first time poster)

you could try going to add remove programs in the control panel and remove the ie7 update and go back ti ie6 ,may help

Simple. Open internet explorer, go to tools, internet options, connections tab, click on LAN settins and un-check everything in there.

great advice, this worked for me

I'm also facing similar issue. I tried both the options specified above but issue still persists.

now whenever I try to make any change in the internet option and say OK. Browser crashes. Any suggestions.

I'm also facing similar issue. I tried both the options specified above but issue still persists.

now whenever I try to make any change in the internet option and say OK. Browser crashes. Any suggestions.

what version of IE are you using ,if IE7 ,get and install IE8 see what happens .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Error 12029 A connection to server could not be established

It seems that several of us are having the same problem: (I am using an IBM Thinkpad T30, running XP & IE and most other MS products) and am failing to connect to the Internet. Running the XP Network Diagnostics, I am getting the following error messages:

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
error Could not make an HTTP connection.

Has anyone cracked this or a similar problem, if so what was your solution?
Appreciate any help, Regards, daviddgw

what version of IE are you using ,if IE7 ,get and install IE8 see what happens .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

But how can I upgrade to IE8 without an Internet connection? Can I download it to another PC, and transfer it to the failing PC?
If so, please can you give me a link to the appropriaye MS Website?
Thank you,
daviddgw

the link is in post #6
and yes you can dowload it on another computer and transfer the exe file to your computer ans run the install

Thanks very much for your post, it worked straight away no problem.

Lesson to be learned here always have another browser on your machine.

Thanks again.

your welcome, now mark the thread as solved ,just click on the mark as solved,below last post

same problem; tried ie7 and ie8, and browsers mozilla and opera. ran a virus scan and registry cleaner and still can't browse with any browsers. am able to connect to internet, but not do anything. any thots?

any thots?

Lots ,welcome to daniweb ,please read the members rules at the top of the page yellow toolbar ,and then create you own thread explaining your problem thanks

Simple. Open internet explorer, go to tools, internet options, connections tab, click on LAN settins and un-check everything in there.

Thanks! Unchecked LAN settings. However, Symantics Paretologic
warned that my page could possibly be hijacked. I do not think this can
happen though, because I am running remote off my sons modem which has firewalls of its own. Does this make sense?

I have not known what to do for a problem that to me looked so complicated.

The steps you gave were simple and worked perfectly!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your very affective solution.

**I had tried so many things, googled this issue again and again, and finally the following option worked for me. (I am quit thrilled... everything from Office to Adobe to my anti-virus was not updating, and I can finally have some peace of mind!)

Mar 28th, 2009
Re: Error 12029 A connection to server could not be established

**I do have one concern I would like help with post-solution, as I am not super computer savvy. I would pretty much like to understand what I changed and if there is anything unsafe about the changes. In case it's relevant, I dont use IE like the original post, rather I use Firefox.

And many thanks to PCAngel!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!! Been trying to fix this all day - worked for me.

Certain virus programs stop your internet access by setting the "use proxy server for your lan connections" option. Turning this option off will usually correct the problem.

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! A virus had got into my computer and bogged everything up. We got it out, but still couldn't get onto IE. After reading this forum, I checked my LAN settings and there it was. Thank you again for your suggestions!XD

I'm getting: FTP (Passive) Error 12029
FTP (Active) Error 12029

Tried unchecking LAN settings. Nothing was checked.

Tried upgrading to IE8. Already running IE8.

What next?

Going into win expl and unchecking all of the LAN blocks as directed per this list FIXED my error code 12029!
Thank you all very much!

Now to find out why the problem occurred.
Thanks again.
Joe B

pcangle your info worked for me, Thanks

my problem is my on line game every time i run the game the error12029 would appear saying a connection to the server cannot establish..pls give me some advice

The problem lies in your computer's DNS settings. You might have to check flushing and resetting your DNS settings. To do so, first run the Command Prompt as administrator, and type the required commands.

1. Click the Start button that you see on your Taskbar.
  2. Click on the Search textbox, which is on the bottom of the Start Menu that recently opened.
  3. Type "CMD" (without quotes; not case sensitive)
  4. Right click it in the search results.
  5. Select Run as administrator, as the Windows require you to have adequate privilges to execute the commands.
  6. Now Command Prompt window shall open after requiring you to click Yes in the UAC confirmation dialog, as the case may be.
  7. Type the following commands one-by-one:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /release
  8. Reboot the PC.

Do you need more information in case the problem still persists? Well, read this article to know more diagnostic solutions for Error 12029.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.