I am having a problem that I have been trying to solve for hours now but i'm completly perplexed.

I am using Win XP Pro btw.

Let me explain my situation. My non usb keyboard completly stopped working because the thing used to connect it to the computer is broken. I went out to buy a wireless one that uses USB. After connecting that one to every USB port on my computer it did not work. I had figured it was a problem with wireless or usb. So I retured that and went back to buy a new keyboard. This one came with a mouse and also had a adapter on the usb that allowed me to connect the non- usb way. Still this did not work. Now I remain trapped at my login screen. I have only one working mouse and absoultly no working keyboard. My question is, how do I escape the password screen with only a mouse?Or how can I get USB working on my computer?

Thank you in advance.:lol:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

for the USB keyboard to work:

use a standard (non-usb) keyboard and go into the BIOS setup screen (hit del or f1 or whatever it tells you to when the system starts up) and enable USB Keyboard support.

for the USB keyboard to work:

use a standard (non-usb) keyboard and go into the BIOS setup screen (hit del or f1 or whatever it tells you to when the system starts up) and enable USB Keyboard support.

At the moment I cant get hold of a standard keyboard but I found out that my USB keyboard works up untill the point that my login screen comes up. So I was able to get into the BIOS thing and I enabled USB but it did not change the problem. Any other suggestions?

you may just need to leave it there for a while.

ive noticed that if i swap my keyboard to a different port then it can often take a long time for windows to recognise it first time

you may just need to leave it there for a while.

ive noticed that if i swap my keyboard to a different port then it can often take a long time for windows to recognise it first time

How long exactly? I've been waiting quite awhile.

for me if i leave it like 5 mins then windows detects it and im off

Hi

Do you have Service Pack 1 on your PC it is required for usb support

Darren

Give it an attention-getting swift kick:

Boot with the USB keyboard unplugged, then plug it in when the login screen appears. This gives Plug-n-play a whack, and it will recognize the keyboard for one boot.

If you get control, go into Control Panel/ Keyboard/Hardware and change the setting.

You would have been able to do this with just the mouse if you didn't have login enabled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.