I would like to format my hard drive (80 Gig) Win XP, 512Ram system.
I don't have any discs for the system. I usually give lots of money to a technician for this task. I don't want to do this no more.
I've never performed this task at all before and, I would like to be able to perform this task at least twice a year.
Would some kind tech soul, provide me with a step by step, HOW TO?
Wallace.
mw.tait@sympatico.ca

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Wallace - one simple & obvious question : What do you plan to install onto the harddrive after formating it? Or are you just wanting to wipe the drive clean for resale reasons?

What has happened to the disks? The Windows CD? The software installed on it?

How on earth was a Technician doing it for you if there are no disks? (It's illegal for them to put Windows and other software on the system if you don't actually OWN the software)

Or is this a 'Brand-Name' computer? What make and model is it please? There might just be a 'hidden partition' on the hard drive with the restore data in it!

The detailed step by step guide is here:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

But you can't do it without at least a Windows CD!

I have a different ? How much did the tech charge to format and reload you computer.
Local computer store here charges 40$tax included .I charge 25$making some mone on the side !!

I eventually got the techie to format my hard drive and load in a (Legit) XP pro OS. This all cost me CAD$ 150.00.
I would liek to be able to format my drive on my own. How do I do it? Can someone post a procedure for this process?
Wallace.

Wallace, if you scroll back to my earlier post, you're only a couple of clicks away from just that!

I would like to format my hard drive (80 Gig) Win XP, 512Ram system.
I don't have any discs for the system. I usually give lots of money to a technician for this task. I don't want to do this no more.
I've never performed this task at all before and, I would like to be able to perform this task at least twice a year.
Would some kind tech soul, provide me with a step by step, HOW TO?
Wallace.
mw.tait@sympatico.ca

1 -. Must be clear that the format going to lose everything on it, it is necessary to support all those files that are important or if you do not miss. It is not a technician work, you can do that

2 -. You must have all the motherboard drivers, sound, screen, modem, etc..

3 -. Obviously you must have the Windows XP CD or if you do not have to achieve, if not, you cant format.

Well, if you are ready in the previous steps we can continue

Format Windows XP step by step

I recommend you follow step by step point will then

1 -. Insert the Windows XP disc in the CD

2 -. Restart your PC. You will need to enter the BIOS (pressing the Del key at startup) and change the boot order so that the CD is before hard disk (usually the second menu). Once done, save the changes (F10) and reboot the PC again.

3 -. Your computer will display a message "Press any key to boot from CD". Follow the instructions.

4 -. You will see a blue screen and will be a while loading files it needs to begin the installation. Once completed, this will give us three options. We are interested in is "To install XP now, press ENTER. Press the ENTER key to continue.

5 -. Now you get a screen to select where to install Windows. This is where you can delete old partitions and format disks. The lower part shows a window with all the disks and partitions that exist in them. Use the cursor (arrow) to select the partition "C:" and hit "D". On the next screen by pressing "L" to end and delete the partition. (Here is where formatting)

I recommend you follow step by step point will then

1 -. Insert the Windows XP disc in the CD

2 -. Restart your PC. You will need to enter the BIOS (pressing the Del key at startup) and change the boot order so that the CD is before hard disk (usually the second menu). Once done, save the changes (F10) and reboot the PC again.

3 -. Your computer will display a message "Press any key to boot from CD". Follow the instructions.

4 -. You will see a blue screen and will be a while loading files it needs to begin the installation. Once completed, this will give us three options. We are interested in is "To install XP now, press ENTER. Press the ENTER key to continue.

5 -. Now you get a screen to select where to install Windows. This is where you can delete old partitions and format disks. The lower part shows a window with all the disks and partitions that exist in them. Use the cursor (arrow) to select the partition "C:" and hit "D". On the next screen by pressing "L" to end and delete the partition. (Here is where formatting)

We can not give a fact that has no previous partition as the new computer. If so, ignore this step.

6 -. Now you have returned to the screen to choose where to install Windows. The window at the bottom and should not show any partition, and instead should see "no space partitioning xxxMB. Select with the cursor here and press "C" to create a partition the hard disk. The next screen tells you the minimum size and maximum partition that can have and lets you adjust the size.

The maximum size is configured by default, but should check before you press ENTER and continue.

7 -. 'll Be in the window to choose where to install Windows, only this time you will have a partition called C: followed by a brief description and size in MB. We selected this partition with the cursor and press ENTER.

8 -. The next screen lets you choose the file system you want to reformat your hard drive. We will want to choose the file system NTFS or FAT. In the case of XP will have to choose NTFS. But if your computer was in FAT32, it is best to select the FAT file, to be your first option uses the normal format

9 -. From here, proceed to install Windows at the end of the disc format. Windows Setup is very simple and we will be asking all the information you need throughout the facility.
You must have the CD-KEY!, If you do not enter is a pirated version :P

Well, your computer was formated

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.