I have a .dat file which is actually an mp3. It plays with all my audio players (winamp pro 5.1, windows media 9.0, etc), but i want to convert it to an mp3 so i can compile it to a disc. By renaming "Klubbheads - Let the party begin" to "Klubbheads - Let the party begin.mp3" it still recognises it as a .dat file, and doesn't auto change the recocognition to wimamp! Right click -> Properties says that it is still a .dat file. How can i convert it to a "real" mp3.

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

is it the only mp3 file that you have, that is showing as a .dat .

yeah, all the rest i have are fine (and assosiated with winamp)

I have a .dat file which is actually an mp3. It plays with all my audio players (winamp pro 5.1, windows media 9.0, etc), but i want to convert it to an mp3 so i can compile it to a disc. By renaming "Klubbheads - Let the party begin" to "Klubbheads - Let the party begin.mp3" it still recognises it as a .dat file, and doesn't auto change the recocognition to wimamp! Right click -> Properties says that it is still a .dat file. How can i convert it to a "real" mp3.

Thanks in advance!

Ok,you say you changed Klubbheads - Let the party begin tp Klubbheads - Let the party begin.mp3 and nothing happens .the orignal before you changed it reads Klubbheads - Let the party begin.DAT ,correct so all you are changeing is the .dat to .mp3 correct .

it did not read .dat originally, just an unassociated file type, i right clicked to discover that it was a .dat!

It plays as a mp3 on you computer , it should play as a mp3 on a burnt disk !
Email me the file if you like and i will see what i can do with it .
jnburton2003@hotmail.com

or just ,delete it and download it again .

its large, so hotmail wont do, but ill try and see if it actually will play in my car and mp3 player!

Greetings.

it did not read .dat originally, just an unassociated file type, i right clicked to discover that it was a .dat!

I'm not sure if you have done this or not, but base on what you have mentioned above, I guess not.
1) Go to the folder which contains your "mp3" file.
2) Go to Tools -> Folder Options.
3) Select the tab "View".
4) Uncheck this: "Hide file extensions for known file types".
5) Click "OK" and now I guess you can see your_song.dat right?
Or according to the previous post, you have changed the extension
to .mp3, so I guess the file would now be: your_song.mp3.dat.
6) Now, change it to your_song.mp3.

After that, you could go back to Tools -> Folder Options, & have the "Hide
file extensions for known file types" be checked once again (your wish.).

Did that help?
Thanks.

thank you soo much :) helped heaps. should have though of it myself :P

Hello anyone!

I have a question on "how to convert a old dat file extention to open and be viewed???".

I know the .dat file is a jpeg or mpeg of some sort.

Any help for be appreicated

Hello anyone!

I have a question on "how to convert a old dat file extention to open and be viewed???".

I know the .dat file is a jpeg or mpeg of some sort.

Any help for be appreicated

you should be able to just simply right click on it an dchange the name .if you think it a jpg, try that first ,change the dat ext to .jpeg ,if that did nothing try mpeg. also just found this in a search ,dat file viewer ,didn't try it yet but will,
http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/archives/dat_view.htm

hi ,i trie the program and it seems to be for dats downloaded from kazza and othe p2p programs .i don't know if that is where yours comes from or not ,

Thanks for the reply guys but no such luck yet! The free ware from angelfire did not work, as matter a of fact, the program runs or acts like spyware or malware. the software did not execute some of its own functions as listed in its instructions. The .dat files that I am trying to view appear to be part of backup. So I may need to find some program that will restore the backup. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Thanks 'E'

Thanks for the reply guys but no such luck yet! The free ware from angelfire did not work, as matter a of fact, the program runs or acts like spyware or malware. the software did not execute some of its own functions as listed in its instructions. The .dat files that I am trying to view appear to be part of backup. So I may need to find some program that will restore the backup. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

Thanks 'E'

I have been taking dat files from VCD's and converting them to mpeg files using VCDgear and then using VirualDub to make them wav files which then can be used to make audio cd's or mp3 cds. Also VCDGear can take any dat file and convert it to an bin/cue format which may work for .dat backups. Because essentially a dat file is information compressed into on file which may contain audio, video, and other information. It may work for you but I have only done it with dat files from VCD's.

I know a powerful DAT Converter as well as a step by step guide on how to convert .dat video or audio to almost all popular formats like convert DAT to MP3, DAT to MP4, DAT to WMV, DAT to MOV, DAT to 3GP, DAT to WMA and etc. Type "step by step guide to convert DAT to MP4, MP3, WMV, 3GP, MOV" in Google to find it.

You can convert the .dat file system to mp3 by using the Online file converter or else you can directly download the converter to convert the .dat file to mp3.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.