Hey,

My buddy has a problem, his parents put a password on his computer on startup so that he cannot go on his computer while they are not home. Would the best thing to do is to pound F8 until he gets the screen and just log in in safe mode??? Or would that just be for a Windows Password? He has tried looking for a back door password, but I guess he has found a LOT!!!!! Any suggestions??? He is a good guy and he doesn't know why his parents put a password on it, because he didn't get in trouble or anything with the computer.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I can't see his parents placing the password there without having a compelling reason to them. Your intervention could place you right in the middle of a situation that you my regret. I would pass on this involvement.

depends if its a BIOS/hard disk password or a windows password. its probably best not to get inolved though

Hey,

My buddy has a problem, his parents put a password on his computer on startup so that he cannot go on his computer while they are not home. Would the best thing to do is to pound F8 until he gets the screen and just log in in safe mode??? Or would that just be for a Windows Password? He has tried looking for a back door password, but I guess he has found a LOT!!!!! Any suggestions??? He is a good guy and he doesn't know why his parents put a password on it, because he didn't get in trouble or anything with the computer.

Tell him to download knoppix

www.knoppix.net

the key here is "startup"

that implies a bios password in which case you cant remove it without them knowing

by your description this sounds like a Bios password if it's just a black screen asking for password in the upper left corner.

The plus side, this is a very easy thing to get around. If you decide you want to help him go to google and just search "forgot bios password" You'll be able to find places that tell you how.

The negative side to these fixes is that it's not a bypass, it's a removal. So next time parents decide to turn on computer, there is going to be no password anymore and they'll know somethings up...

another optional fix is to put the computer in standbye instead of shut down next time they let him use the computer. This will bypass all the dos loading and put him right back into windows.

All in all, tell you're buddy if he really cares that he should research the issue, or save up and buy his own computer.

My father did this to me long ago and I found the fix around it, but when he saw that the password was removed he found more interesting stratagies to fix "the problem" like selling my computer to my neighbor.

yes thats what i was meaning.

if you remove the bios password the parents will know

if hes got nothing to hide why did they put it on anyways?

Why?

- Homework BEFORE video games
- No downloading
- Business files on computer

The point is, it's NOT YOUR COMPUTER.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.