Ok, so I have a Windows XP eMachines model.

After a lightning storm, my computer got shut off after lightning struck something. I turned it back on and noticed that my internet wasn't working. Then I plug in my iPod later and it doesn't update. I try to print something, doesn't "support any printers". And after buying an ethernet cable to hook up my modem to the computer to launch the internet, since my modem was using the USB cable to connect to the internet before, I came to the conclusion that my USB ports don't work.

Now I have tried some things to fix this, I even sent it to the GeekSquad and they sat on their a** all day and did nothing.

I have heard possible solutions involving BIOS, ut I have never tried the BIOS technique because, well, I don't understand how to go through BIOS and check out the problem.

If anyone has solutions, especially a run-through of how to fix it using BIOS, that would be great.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Now I have tried some things to fix this, I even sent it to the GeekSquad and they sat on their a** all day and did nothing.

hahah.. were u surprised? that damn geek squad sucks ass... was ur computer connected to a surge protector?

I doubt it has anything to do with ur bios since it appears that the lightning caused this.. were all ur usb ports integrated? does the usb show up in device manager?

the computer was not connected to a surge protector.

integrated= ?

device manager says that it still has the usb hubs, but it will not read my devices.

integrated as in, are the usb ports part of the motherboard or are they expansions (pci..)..

If you didn't have a surge protector, and your house was struck by lightning.. your computer would have experienced very high voltages of electricity which would in turn, fry your mb or components. Was there anything else in your house, or close to your computer that used electricity? Check clocks, etc. to see if they were destroyed by the electricity.

More than likely, you will need to purchase new usb components.. and a surge protector

Hi, I am new to this site, how do i post a new thread? Please help.

seriously? You click "Post a New Thread"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.