Hi Guys

I discovered that my partner had tried to install spyware on the computer we share at home .. Anyway to cut a long story short he is the administrator and he has access to all of my folders and my profile which I dont mind however I want to be able to acess the d drive which gives me the access denied error message. I dont want to reset his administrator password but would like access to that drive

any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

The d drive is a separate hd? Try changing ownership of that specific drive.. it should give you all permissions if you audit it correctly.

hmmm ok I am not that technical .. all I know is that I dont have permission to access any folders on the d drive and I want to be able to without having to change passwords .. is that possible?

right click the d drive, and click the security tab. Post what is listed there (ie. group/user names and whether or not the 'Permissions' for each user is grayed out.. as if you could not change the permission)

ok I did one better here is a screen shot

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/funkeegal/funx.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/funkeegal/owner.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e38/funkeegal/permissions.jpg

hope this helps

Ok great, that helps. What user are you? funx, I am assuming..

Try this: go to where you were in owner.jpg; Notice the two 'denies' under type. Try to click 'edit' and change both to 'allow'

Try to access the files, post what happens..

ok here is what I did

went to security tab
highlighted funx right clicked got an error message saying what is this

Clicked the green boxs pressed apply to all they would let me special permissons was greyed out .

Tried to click on the folder and got the access denied message

ok here is what I did

went to security tab
highlighted funx right clicked got an error message saying what is this

Clicked the green boxs pressed apply to all they would let me special permissons was greyed out .

Tried to click on the folder and got the access denied message

Go to My Computer -> right click d drive-> properties -> securit tab -> Advanced ->Owner -> Click on the 2nd line: 'DENY funx.." -> edit -> Make sure EVERY box has a green check in it -> Then click 'OK' on everything..

What happens when you do that?
Oh btw, what OS are you running?

did that and tried to get into a folder in drive d and it says d documents a settings/mars is not accessible access is denied

I am on windows xp

xp pro? and you are not an administrator? then you cannot change permissions unless you are the owner of that file or folder. Try safe mode and the system administrator [you need the password, and it is by default blank ie Enter...]
==To restart your computer in Safe Mode:- press F8 several times while POST is running and before IDE detection completes.
- On the Windows Advanced Options Menu, select Safe Mode with Command Prompt and press Enter.
- When the Boot Menu appears again, select Microsoft Windows XP and press Enter.
- Log in by using the Administrator account and password. NOTE: The password is blank by default unless you set a password.
And then follow this procedure... :)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Passworded out of there too? Then you need a linux boot disc, you run linux from the cd and it takes no notice of permissions and such stuff. Get a free cd from ubuntu.

There is also a way to change ownership and audit permissions.. I have done this by connecting the hd as a slave in my system.. You can change ownership and then access information via the account on another operating system.

yes, that would work - still from an admin acc, though, right? I wonder.. if that drive was made with xp pro would slaving it in an xp home [with admin privs] allow you to copy off? Cos xp home has a pretty lazy system of ownership n privileges... to put it bluntly, there is no file security. It's for a home, right? .. so everyone is cool n no secrets? Answered my own q, i think... it could not, cos it doesn't have the file security sys in place. Dunno. Anyone?

yes, that would work - still from an admin acc, though, right? I wonder.. if that drive was made with xp pro would slaving it in an xp home [with admin privs] allow you to copy off? Cos xp home has a pretty lazy system of ownership n privileges... to put it bluntly, there is no file security. It's for a home, right? .. so everyone is cool n no secrets?

hm.. I'd think so. I've used it for xp pro slaved to xp pro, and for vista beta.. haha, I actually initially figured out how to audit and change ownership through vista beta, when I was trying to get administrative rights over my own damn computer.. (The first vista beta build did NOT give administrators authority over their own computers.. every1 had a limited account!!!:D)

:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.