Well, i've got a total of 30 processes when i turn on my computer. Im wondering is there a way to get rid of them so they dont show up every time i turn on my computer. So each time i turn on my computer i dont i dont have to delete all the bad ones.
I am also unsure at this point which ones i should get rid of, here is a list of all of them.
Here is a list of all my processes:

msmsgs
system
system idle process
taskmgr
ati2evxx
smss
explorer
csrss
winlogon
cthelper
services
lsass
ati2evxx (again)
svchost
jusched
wuauclt
ctfmon
svchost
svchost
spoolsv
ccevtmgr
navapsvc
nprotect
svchost
iexplorer
ccapp
lvcoms
svchost
svchost

Somehow i had 30 when i first started and now it says 29

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

msconfig

As far as removing processes goes, msconfig (run it from the run box) will help get rid of some, then you have to check the "run" keys in the registry, and the "startup" program group. (I wish M$ had no "run" keys in the registry.)

im a noob :0

hmmm, ok i've got it down to 22.

I still see 3 more that i could get rid of i think:
msmsgs ( w messenger, right?)
ati2evxx
ati2evxx

But their not listed under msconfig, startup.

Those 2 last Ati ones, were listed in services, so their gone now.
I still cannot find out how to get rid of the msmsgs though, if it even needs to go.
I use msn 6.0 though. One of my problems is that i could be doing anything and all of a sudden i get a msg from one of my friends. This is when im not even logged in too. Yes in options i have it as do not sign in automatically and do not turn on automatically when i log onto the internet. And i dont have it configured in outlook express either :0 Any solution?

Google "remove windows messenger" for steps on how to do that. Microsoft included Windows Messenger with XP as a replacement for its WinPopUP messenger for LANs. You can't remove it, only the icon for it in Control Panel.

Did you read the Windows XP services section of the site Caperjack listed? Black Viper's website contains about the best services guide to be found!

Yeah ! and the first thing it says on that relly good site is to not use MSCONFIG yo end Processes ,Remember that Processes are not the same as Programs that start at Startup!!!Therse is a difference !!!

If you don't want msn messenger to run at startup just open it and go to tools/options and General and uncheck run when windows starts .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.