Every time I try to start my computer it starts loading Windows and then reboots. When I start up, everything works perfectly until I get to the "Windows did not shut down correctly last time" screen. I'm given the various choices (start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good config etc...). No matter which option I choose, Windows begins to start up normally, and right when it would usually go to the login screen, everything shuts down and the computer starts rebooting. Please help!

Thanks!

Fred

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Every time I try to start my computer it starts loading Windows and then reboots. When I start up, everything works perfectly until I get to the "Windows did not shut down correctly last time" screen. I'm given the various choices (start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good config etc...). No matter which option I choose, Windows begins to start up normally, and right when it would usually go to the login screen, everything shuts down and the computer starts rebooting. Please help!

Thanks!

Fred

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Daniweb!

your computer; is it a purchased computer (make & model d.o.p) or a home build?

and is it a desktop of laptop?

as manufacterers usually build methods in to their machines to deal with such events. However these vary from model to model.

Also, can this be linked to anything? i.e after you installed Virgin Media broadband medic for example?

sorry for the essay,

Dazza :cool:

Hi Fred,

Welcome to Daniweb!

your computer; is it a purchased computer (make & model d.o.p) or a home build?

and is it a desktop of laptop?

as manufacterers usually build methods in to their machines to deal with such events. However these vary from model to model.

Also, can this be linked to anything? i.e after you installed Virgin Media broadband medic for example?

sorry for the essay,

Hi

Thanks for answering. The computer is a desktop that I built myself about 5 years ago.

When the problem first started I was navigating on a website that I've been to before, where I clicked a link and the window went blank. I then tried to click on the 'start' icon and the toolbar went blank. I left the computer alone for 10 minutes, thinking the comp. was just overloaded but when I came back it was the same screen as before, so I manually restarted the comp. Thats when the rebooting problem started...

Sorry for the long paragraph, just wanted to get all the details out there.

Fred

Hi

Thanks for answering. The computer is a desktop that I built myself about 5 years ago.

When the problem first started I was navigating on a website that I've been to before, where I clicked a link and the window went blank. I then tried to click on the 'start' icon and the toolbar went blank. I left the computer alone for 10 minutes, thinking the comp. was just overloaded but when I came back it was the same screen as before, so I manually restarted the comp. Thats when the rebooting problem started...

Sorry for the long paragraph, just wanted to get all the details out there.

Fred

ok, that's a strange one, bit of a shame it's not a shop one as they have a utility built-in to deal with this, no biggy.

are you getting an error messge or is it just restarting?

Well.... after spending several hours messing around with my computer I took it to a local repair shop yesterday. In 30 minutes they had the problem solved. Something to do with the master boot record... How mozilla affected the master boot record is a mystery to me :-/

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Cheers-
Fred

Well.... after spending several hours messing around with my computer I took it to a local repair shop yesterday. In 30 minutes they had the problem solved. Something to do with the master boot record... How mozilla affected the master boot record is a mystery to me :-/

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

Cheers-
Fred

Anytime mate! Glad you managed to get it sorted in the end.

Um i have the same problem with my computer the only thing its that i have An hp and i dont know if i could fix or have to pay someone to fix

My Sony vaio just stopped working and windows isn't loading up. I have just installed virgin media so I am not entirely sure what the problem is. Can you please help.

Thanks

Try to start your system in Safe Mode. If successful remove virgin Media.
If that does not work, then use your F keys or Delete key to enter BIOS Setup; under Power Mgmnt disable Autorestart. Next time you restart the sys capture [write down] the error codes and message re files. Post it.

EDIT:
Misinformation... mine too.
Sorry about the error in those instructions I posted above.... someone once mentioned in a thread that you disable AutoRestart in BIOS, and annoyingly that false instruction has buried itself in my brain. That option is found on the Windows Boot Menu, I know that but if I don't think fully BIOS wins every time. Against reason and method. Anyway....
Perhaps you could replace the post with this to avoid confusion amongst future browsers, and my embarassment...

Try to start your system in Safe Mode, an option in the Windows Boot Menu which is reached by pressing F8 as BIOS runs POST [immediately upon drive detection is most successful]. Remove Virgin Media.
If that does not allow your sys to start correctly, then use F8 to again enter the Boot Menu and select Disable Autorestart. When the sys starts capture [write down] the error codes and message about files. Post it.

My Sony vaio just stopped working and windows isn't loading up. I have just installed virgin media so I am not entirely sure what the problem is. Can you please help.

Thanks

Hi Sonyvaioting.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

============

Thread closed.

Hi! My dell desktop has the same problem! It doesnt start and i have no idea what caused that! Please help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.