Some time ago I had to re-install my entire operating system due to some error. I used a program called winternals to save all of my files to a backup since my OS would not boot. Before this had happened I had some files that where "Encrypted to secure content" (Right click file/properties/General/Advanced/Encypt contents to secure data).

As my old OS had malfunctioned and I had wiped it off and re-installed my OS on the same re-formatted computer, these files essentially where corrupted since they where encrypted using the old machine and to the new OS they where treated as normal files.

I need to find a way to decrypt these files that where encrypted using this EFS system on the old OS.

I know my previous Usernames and Passwords to the old OS. But I don't know if I made any encryption keys which is what a lot of the troubleshooting websites talk about. I simply just right clicked the files and clicked Properties - General - Advanced and checked the box labelled "Encrypt content to secure data" and clicked the OK button.. and thatw as that.

Can anybody give me any help on this?

P.S. I don't have a budget, so preferably I need to correct this for free.

Thanks, Jonathon.

Anyone at all?

Some time ago I had to re-install my entire operating system due to some error. I used a program called winternals to save all of my files to a backup since my OS would not boot. Before this had happened I had some files that where "Encrypted to secure content" (Right click file/properties/General/Advanced/Encypt contents to secure data).

As my old OS had malfunctioned and I had wiped it off and re-installed my OS on the same re-formatted computer, these files essentially where corrupted since they where encrypted using the old machine and to the new OS they where treated as normal files.

I need to find a way to decrypt these files that where encrypted using this EFS system on the old OS.

I know my previous Usernames and Passwords to the old OS. But I don't know if I made any encryption keys which is what a lot of the troubleshooting websites talk about. I simply just right clicked the files and clicked Properties - General - Advanced and checked the box labelled "Encrypt content to secure data" and clicked the OK button.. and thatw as that.

Can anybody give me any help on this?

P.S. I don't have a budget, so preferably I need to correct this for free.

Thanks, Jonathon.

Hi there, i can see that you had exactly the same problem i have, and i wonder if you remember how you solved the encryption thing... i would greatly appreciate any help as i'm about to lose some precious stuff...thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.