Hello All,

First of all, let me say that I really don't know much about computers, but I want to try to fix mine without just trashing it.

My husband was downloading a new poker site and he got a blue screen that said" the windows logon prosess system terminated unexpectedly. Fatal System Error Stop: C000021a."

The operating system is Windows XP. The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400. We are unable to access anything on the computer. This is the only screen that we can get to. The only way to restart the computer is to manually turn it on and off using the power button.

As a novice, is there anything that I can do?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First try this ---press f8 during startup before the winlogo comes up, and choose "last configuration

If that does nothing ,then try this ,boot computer to you winxp cd ,choose "R" for repair ,pick 1 as the drive to fix ,just hit enter if it asks for a password, then type in "chkdsk /r" with out the quotes and there is a space between the K and /

Thanks so much for the reply. I tried f8 and ended back at the blue screen.

What does this mean "boot computer to you winxp cd"? Do I put the cd in and then start the computer? (edited to add - I put the disk in and then started the computer and it looked like the computer was reading the disk, then the blue screen came up.)

Also, my mother in law was going to replace her computer anyway and gave us her old one. Hers is older than ours. Would it make any sense to take her Hard drive out and put it in ours? Is this something I could do?

I would rather try to save mine. All of my photos were on there.

hello ,yes it meant to put the winxp cd in the drive and restart computer ,you should see on the screen "hit any key to boot from cdrom " if you don't then you need to go into the bios and change the boot sequent to first boot cdrom .you inlaws harddrive will also give you the blue screen because of driver conflicts between the two different motherboards ,but you could put you harddrive in heres as a SLAVE and take you pictures off ,onto heres ,then reload winxp on you to get rid of blue screen .
Time for you to seek out the neighborhood computer geek for help ,every neighborhood has one or two !!

First try this ---press f8 during startup before the winlogo comes up, and choose "last configuration

Thanks for your post - you saved me an indeterminant amount of downtime :)

Thanks for your post - you saved me an indeterminant amount of downtime :)

your welcome ,your lucky it doesn't work for a lot of people

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.