I just noticed yesterday that my Windows XP Firewall is no longer enabled. It always has been so I don't know when, or how, it got disabled. When I go to Network Connections -- Properties -- Advanced, the Internet Connection Firewall is unchecked; when I try to check it, I get an error message as soon as I click OK:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependancy service or group failed to start."

I tried using the Wizard, which set it to be enabled, but then it's not.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Anyone know how I can enable my XP firewall?

Anyone know how I can enable my XP firewall?

Maybe ,if you haven't updated to the SP2 you could do that now , and that might fix it as the firewll in sp2 is new and better ,It also works outgoing now .

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Maybe ,if you haven't updated to the SP2 you could do that now , and that might fix it as the firewll in sp2 is new and better ,It also works outgoing now .

I tried Windows Update and it didn't give me sp2 as a choice, has it been released yet?

Read this article on SP2 dated Aug 18th --> HERE

I just noticed yesterday that my Windows XP Firewall is no longer enabled. It always has been so I don't know when, or how, it got disabled. When I go to Network Connections -- Properties -- Advanced, the Internet Connection Firewall is unchecked; when I try to check it, I get an error message as soon as I click OK:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependancy service or group failed to start."

I tried using the Wizard, which set it to be enabled, but then it's not.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

The dependancy service failed to start, eh? That means that a service ICS depends on isn't starting.

What you need to do is click on Start -> Run, and type in services.msc. There's a list of services set up on your computer. Double click on Internet Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing, and then click the Dependancies tab. You'll basically have to go through and figure opt which dependancy isn't starting up, and why it isn't.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.