Hi, I am having problems with my Mum's Athlon 2800+ Computer system. It is failing to boot however, the processor fan, floppy drive and cd all power up. But no life with the screen. Is says no input detected. I know the screen works and i have tried several different graphics cards, all while the system in on minimal config i.e. cpu, hdd, vga, no other expansion cards.

I am almost sure it is a hardware issue, have left CMOS Bat out for while and reset CMOS. Would like to know if I could try flashing the bios.

Regards Matt :-/

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

At this point it seems to be the mother board, PLease try replacing the CMOS battery first as that resolved most of these issues.

Hi Binoj Daniel

Will try replacing CMOS battery

Cheers,

Matt

Let me know how it goes.

Hi,

I have used a different CMOS battery from another computer it has plenty of charge, but computer still fails to boot. I dont even hear any beeps, just the cpu powering up and the RAM LED on. Have checked the motherboard manual (Gigabyte GA-7VAX) and it says you can re-flash the Bios, but how do you do that if the screen does not show anything.

Does anyone know how i would go about reflashing motherboard or is it best to buy a new board. My current board is an AMD Socket A, so not exactly new, but i don't agree with chucking something out that is still potentially working.

Cheers Matt :?:

This once happened with me and it turned to be the Power Supply, So if you hava space Power Supply try using that, keep replacing motherboard as the last resort.

Hi Binoj Daniel

I will try that. I really appreciate the help you are offering, if ever you have any queries of your own, please dont hesitate to contact me.

Cheers Matt

What do you work on? So that I can keep you in my list. Also you can register here and support me

Have tried a different PSU, so i am fairly sure a new board is required. It did start to fail in stages, first asking to boot up in safe mode then, not at all.

Sorry if i have wasted your time.

Cheers Matt

I am currently studying A-Levels, but have a part-time job as a Network Support Technician.

I am the person incharge of repairing broken computers at my workplace. Usually consists of replacing PSUs and Memory etc.. I carry out any upgrades aswell. The other Techies are not brilliant with computer internals.

Not an issue, anyways good luck.

I am currently studying A-Levels, but have a part-time job as a Network Support Technician.

I am the person incharge of repairing broken computers at my workplace. Usually consists of replacing PSUs and Memory etc.. I carry out any upgrades aswell. The other Techies are not brilliant with computer internals.

Oh that's gr8, I also started repairing PC's a hobby. But Iam a Software Development Tech Lead now. And I run CodeRewind

Hi Binoj Daniel,

I am currently studying, to try and get a place at University for Computer Science, so i can go on and do software developing as a job.

Cheers Matt :)

Hi Binoj Daniel,

I am currently studying, to try and get a place at University for Computer Science, so i can go on and do software developing as a job.

Cheers Matt :)

That's good.

Thanks for your support.

Anytime

:)

Dont bother reflashing the BIOS if you havent done so allready. Im a computer engineer and work for several major companies here in the UK. I see this daily, you said you put anew battery in that had plenty of charge? did you put the same rating battery in there same voltage. If not and its higher voltage you could of fried the bios or caused it to become unstable.

The issue you presently have is either of 2 things, Processor failure, or Motherboard Bios failure, generally you would have to take the bios out and put it into a flash cartridge, now you haven't got one soo your best bet would be to buy a new bios for that make board! What make board is it anyhow....

If the processor is fried or has died for what ever reason you will not get a Post beep at all. If the Bios has fried or has died you will also not get a post beep. The 2 have to be working to get a beep of any type if you dont then theres a big issue with one of the 2.

If it never done this before and has done it since you put the new battery in then you may have put the bios in wrong! it is locked or key locked meanign it cant go in the wrong way around but it may not be sitting properly also ensure the writing is facing upwards as the chip can actually go in upside down on some boards

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.