Several times a day, and with greater fequency now, my computer freezes on me. The mouse clicker stops in the middle of the screen and does not move. Nothing moves. I press the number lock key to see if the keyboard is responsive. Nothing. I do the old control alt delete combo. Absolutley nothing. Its frozen. So I have to restart the computer. Every time I do, when its starts up, the desktop image is not there and it is just a white screen that says active desktop recovery. When I try to restore it, a message pops up that says "an error has occurred in the script". I still can't recover it. Also, when I try to burn cds, it instantly freezes. A week ago I asked about it on Yahoo answers and someone replied and said that I should run it through a registry cleaner. I downloaded a free one and did that, as well as a registry defrag. I ran them, and then tried to burn a cd. It worked. My computer didn't freeze for a couple of days and it was good. But now, it is doing it again. And it seems to be doing it more often. I would like to catch this before it completely crashes my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have an emachines computer with windows xp. 1.66 ghz 736 mb ram

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Sounds like a trojan/virus to me. The clue lies in the temporary respite by using the registry cleaner.

You should go to the Virus forum, read the first three sticky posts and post a HJT log there for checking.

Befire you do that, dwnload SpyBot, run it and let that have a look see.

Sounds like a trojan/virus to me. The clue lies in the temporary respite by using the registry cleaner.

You should go to the Virus forum, read the first three sticky posts and post a HJT log there for checking.

Befire you do that, dwnload SpyBot, run it and let that have a look see.

Ok, I just ran spybot and I had a couple of cookie trackers. I'm going to read those stickies and figure out how to post one of the hijack this logs. Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.