I'm doing tech support and I want to be able to reset XP passwords without reinstalling XP but I tried the Linux boot disk that is supposed to reset the password and the drivers load but then it doesn't show any partitions for some reason (I'm assuming it doesn't have the correct drivers for my Compaq). This is the only computer I've tried it on, but I'm wondering is there anything else I can do if this happens?

Also, if worst comes to worst, and I have to reinstall XP, could I put the the hard drive in my computer, boot from my hard drive, and backup files?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

if u can log on to wondows you can back up the password from the log on screen or through control panel user account and back up the pssword to a floppy or flash drive. to reset password you have to be logged on as an admin. then you can reset users passwords.

if u can log on to wondows you can back up the password from the log on screen or through control panel user account and back up the pssword to a floppy or flash drive. to reset password you have to be logged on as an admin. then you can reset users passwords.

Well maybe I should have explained better; usually the person calls me because they don't remember the password so they probably don't remember the administrator password either; meaning I can't start windows, as far as I know.

is this for a personal home PC.......there is no way around it, if u did not make a reset disk, you would have to do a clean install. thats it,

Sorry to come in late i dont know if you figured it out or not. if you start in safe mode and can get into the administrators name that way if they never set a password for that, if you can get into that account i have a way you can reset the password.
Let me know
Tim.

@TJ
I have aa few ways i can get the password from any system but we are not suppose to discuss hacks and stuff like that, and at the same time if the wrong way is not spread it will encourage users to do the right thing.

I understand completely. Sorry.

Best Regards
Tim

In many cases there is no administrator password, so try that first. Just do an admin logon with no password.
Oph Crack has worked for me in the past:
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Sorry to come in late i dont know if you figured it out or not. if you start in safe mode and can get into the administrators name that way if they never set a password for that, if you can get into that account i have a way you can reset the password.
Let me know
Tim.

Thanks. Well I was asking for future reference. The last customer I helped I just had to reinstall windows XP, which should be a last resort. I believe I tried logging onto the administrator's account first.

@TJ
I have aa few ways i can get the password from any system but we are not suppose to discuss hacks and stuff like that, and at the same time if the wrong way is not spread it will encourage users to do the right thing.

I can understand if we're not supposed to discuss hacks, but I don't see what's wrong about getting a user back into their own account if they forgot their password. I know they should have been more responsible; but is it right for them to have to lose their data?

In many cases there is no administrator password, so try that first. Just do an admin logon with no password.
Oph Crack has worked for me in the past:
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Thanks, hughv. I may try that out on my own system.

explodinghead75 i've sent you a PM :)

commented: 29th Nov 2007 - let's hope he isn't still waiting. -6
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.