Hi!

I'm new here, but I would really appreciate some help with this.

I have a Sony laptop that I need to restore because I keep getting this message: <window root> system32\hal.dll corrupt or missing, please re-install ......

When I press F8 I can't open in Safe Mode or anything else. It takes a long time but this message appears when I try to open in Safe Mode: <window root> system32\ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing, please re-install......

I've had to restore my laptop once before, so I know the steps, but want to know if there is a way I can save my files before doing so. Last time I had to do this I was able to open up in Safe Mode and save most of my stuff, but now I can't even get there.

My laptop didn't come with a disk, everything is already on the hard drive, I just go through the steps and everything is restored to factory settings.

Again, any suggestions or help would really be appreciated!!!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

hello,you need to remove the hdd and connect it to another computer via USB external hdd device ,to remove you data and stuff. .

okay...... sounds a little complicated. I'll be honest, I'm not very computer literate. I'm usually able to do things okay with step by step instructions, so is this something I should be able to do myself or should I have someone with more computer knowledge help me out with this?

better to have someone who knows what he/she is doing. this involves extra hardware, and probable disassemby of the computer. much simpler would be to buy an external hard drive, copy whatever you need onto it, and copy it back after the reformat. that way you will have the external hdd for using as storage or second disk for the laptop

much simpler would be to buy an external hard drive, copy whatever you need onto it, and copy it back after the reformat. that way you will have the external hdd for using as storage or second disk for the laptop

This will be ever more possible with a portable version of windows on either an external hard drive or a CD to be able to get onto the drive

This will be ever more possible with a portable version of windows on either an external hard drive or a CD to be able to get onto the drive

what for, if the system is operational enough to backup?

i read it as if it isn't even operational enough to get into safe mode.

oh, you're right :) too many open windows I suppose

how about trying a repair. this normally install all required files for windows to start up

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.