Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837 laptop and Windows Vista Home which is about 3 months old. It unfortunately fell from my desk and initally work but then it restarted by itself and now when it tries to reboot I get the following PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. I searched for this and tried change the boot up sequence in BIOS but it says for HD none. Does this mean that the HD is dead and I need a new one. Would it be better to replace the HD or get a computer? Is there anyway to get my docs, etc from my existing HD? How do you test if the HD is the problem? Sorry for all the questions but the only thing I really know about computers is very, very basic. I am hoping for a solution that will not be as extreme as buying a new computer though I have a bad feeling that I might have to. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837 laptop and Windows Vista Home which is about 3 months old. It unfortunately fell from my desk and initally work but then it restarted by itself and now when it tries to reboot I get the following PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. I searched for this and tried change the boot up sequence in BIOS but it says for HD none. Does this mean that the HD is dead and I need a new one. Would it be better to replace the HD or get a computer? Is there anyway to get my docs, etc from my existing HD? How do you test if the HD is the problem? Sorry for all the questions but the only thing I really know about computers is very, very basic. I am hoping for a solution that will not be as extreme as buying a new computer though I have a bad feeling that I might have to. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

You can try to reseat your HDD. During the fall it could have gotten loose. If the computer was on when it fell then the HDD is probably bad. If you got the unit 3 months ago then you could have the drive replaced under warranty. If you want to find out for sure do the following.

Go to this website
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
Download the DFT(Drive Fitness Test) program. It is about halfway down the page. Make sure to download the ISO - Image since your computer doesn't have a floppy you will have to use the ISO

Use your favorite burning program to to burn the image and boot from cd. This will test your hard drive for defects

Thanks, I will try that.

Thanks, I will try that.

Please reply back with success or failure for helping others with similar problems

I started my computer and it was ok I then took out the hard drive to clean off the viruses now it wont start teh message was pxe-e61 media test failure,check cable. What can I do?

What can I do?

check cable,,,,,Did you Make sure its connected properly

Hi, i have same problem with
PXE-E61:Media test failure. Check cable.
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
but this case is ” Bios (mainboard) can not detect harddisk and battery”. on My Acer AO 751h Phoenix Bios. Then, i try to boot via hd usb or dvd usb but Blue screen i got. any body can help?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.