I am trying to install the 64-bit version of the Windows 7 beta, but have been hitting my head against the same problem over and over and over again.

I tried asking about this at Anandtech, and got almost no help.

The first time I tried to install, I got a "not enough space" error, because I underestimated how much room it needed. No problem, I went back and re-partitioned to give it more room, still no go.

After several tries, I just gave it a nice 60GB chunk to chew on, and STILL it says not enough space.

Here is a pic of how Partition Magic sees my drives. Ignore the tiny drives, those are leftovers from previous partitioning that I never got around to cleaning up. You can see the K drive is the one I'm trying to install onto.
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6342/partitiongr6.jpg

Then I thought maybe it has some kind of issue with installing on a SATA drive, so I tried moving stuff aroudn to stuff it onto the IDE HD I have, and still... same issue.

This is starting to drive me crazy, I'd like to mess with it some before it launches, just to get a feel for it, but even with all the good press it's getting I'm starting to think Microsoft has no idea how to code an installer.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Have I really found the unfixable bug? Over 200 views and I've stumped em all... haha.

The installer is probably just looking at the size of the active primary drive (I:) and balking.

I thought of that chance, and since posting I've tried unplugging my main drive completely with no improvement.

Is K formatted?

Yes, it's a totally blank partition.
I've tried it that way and with the partition being deleted.

Are you installing from Windows, or from a boot disk?

As far as I knew you couldn't install from within windows. XP told me that the first time I inerted the disc.
Installing from the disc.

I did an upgrade install of x64 from within Windows, but you needa clean install, of course.
My best guess is that you're somehow choosing the wrong partition. Do all the parameters of the selected install partition match the K partition shown?
What's the 87.8 Mb of data shown on K?

What is your system config ???
If it is AMD, then i must tell you that i tried to install windows 7 on my friends AMD but it didnt install and give strange error messages. I installed from the same disc on my intel successfully.
What is the version of the windws you are trying to install?

What is your system config ???
If it is AMD, then i must tell you that i tried to install windows 7 on my friends AMD but it didnt install and give strange error messages. I installed from the same disc on my intel successfully.
What is the version of the windws you are trying to install?

If you read the post, he's trying to install the Windows 7 Beta.
Windows 7 works fine on AMD processors.

Yes i knew that and i never said something like, windows 7 wont work with AMD's. Its in beta and is giving me strange errors on AMD, thats all i said.

You very plainly implied that the AMD processor might be the problem, not that it matters much.
What error messages did you get?

Just retried it with the newest build (7100). Same problems as before, so this time I decided to just go for broke, and wiped my main WinXP partition and install there.

Still no go, although instead of saying I don't have enough space, it claims Windows can't make a system partition there. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I'm posting this from a liveCD of Ubuntu, about to reinstall XP for now.

It really shouldn't be this complicated to install a freakin OS.

i anm pretty sure windows needs to be installed on a Primary (not extended) partition with the letter A-G

The drive I just tried was a primary drive, and it was D while I had XP on it.

Have you integrated your chipset drivers using nlite/vlite?

Well yes, for my XP install. I haven't modified the Win7 ISO at all.

Ran into the the same "brick wall"............used vista 64 to reformat instead of partition magic, then did a clean install from the disc voila!!
I'm not even trying to figure out why.......It's working

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.