I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2. Something regarding Windows Defender happened out of the blue recently, with a System Tray Icon and Message: "Windows has blocked some startup programs" ... I fiddled around with the options presented through this icon, including opening Windows Defender Software Explorer and Microsoft SpyNet services. In mucking around with these settings, I recall vaguely a message in there about a new 'certificate' needing to be created.

Subsequent to this, I have lost the ability to visit most secure websites. Attempting to go to https://www.pairnic.com/ for example just leads to a "Page cannot be displayed" error page. I believe this to be a problem, perhaps, with a root certificate or other certificate authority problem (something I know very little about). I have many many certificates listed in Tools > Internet Options > Content > Certificates, though! So confusing!

If you type a reply in this thread, I pray you will present your answers, thought, or solutions as though they were written in the 'For Dummies' book series.

I read another thread on DaniWeb with a similar problem, but the last post was back in 2006 or so and it was deemed "SOLVED," although I saw no clear answer and the suggestions put forth were rather Brownian and flailing ... MTUs, reset Internet Options (Advanced and Security Tabs) to defaults, etc ... with no clear resolution. Again, I believe the problem to rest in the certificate area.

How can I install a new root certificate? Where do I get one? Which one is the best to get? Please help! Thank you :)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hmm I have a few ideas on what the problem is, but first I need to know a little more information. Have you tried to connect to an FTP server and got the same result? Have you updated all of your qualified vendors lists?

My thought is that this has to do with an optimal hardware switching system... This could be simply a matter of turning on a windows service or a problem of modifying your netsh.

I could be way out of the park, but maybe it will help... look into it

Hmm I have a few ideas on what the problem is, but first I need to know a little more information. Have you tried to connect to an FTP server and got the same result?

Excellent thought. I use Emtec's ZOC Pro v6.11 Terminal Emulator & SSH/Telnet Client for secured ssh sessions to my servers in Pittsburgh. I fired up ZOC, something that I haven't done since this problem connecting to some secure servers recently arose. I had no problem connecting to 4 of my servers using SSH2 and OpenSSH version 5.2 ... the terminal std output is shown below.

SUCCESSFUL CONNECTION DISPLAY:
[SSH] CONNECT my.server.com
[SSH] Protocol Version 2 (OpenSSH_5.2)
[SSH] Cipher: aes256-cbc
Logged in (password)

Have you updated all of your qualified vendors lists?

I am not sure what this means. Please forgive my ignorance. I Googled this term, and learned a little about QVLs. The workstation that I am on is quite new and consists of all retail parts that do fit in the motherboard manufacturer's QVL. This system is an in-house build with meticulous ESD precautions taken during assembly. A brief rundown of my current system specs ... the Windows Vista partition is where I am experiencing this problem:

• Vista Premium SP2 x64 (primary-default partition) / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC
  • ASUS P6T Deluxe Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 965 Extreme CPU
  • Apacer 6GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600
  • Dual EVGA GeForce 9600 GT 1GB GDDR3 x16 (SLI)
  • Dual Dell 24-Inch 2405FPW (3840x1200)
  • Seagate 500GB SV35.3 Series ST3500320SV (C: drive)
  • WD VelociRaptor 300GB 10000rpm
  • LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme 1TB Firewire-800
  • CoolerMaster Centurion 534 + Plus Chassis
  • CoolerMaster 750W Real Power Pro PSU
  • Aveo Moshi Celesta USB Keyboard
  • Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse
  • Apple Airport Extreme Wireless-N Home Network
  • This Core i7 workstation is wired to Gigabit Ethernet Port

My thought is that this has to do with an optimal hardware switching system. This could be simply a matter of turning on a windows service or a problem of modifying your netsh. I could be way out of the park, but maybe it will help... look into it.

Let's talk about this some more. Any recommendations on examining the services and modifying the netsh (I don't know what this is, I am embarrassed to say). I sure do appreciate your time, and would love to know your thoughts at this point. I hope the additional information helps.

:confused:

Alright lets start simple I guess... Try these out one by one and see if they work as you go... if they don't work you can reverse most of them with no problems.

• Make sure your time and date are correct
  • Delete any temporary internet files
  • Run your browser in administrator mode (if not already)
  • If your using Internet Explorer open it and go to tools > Internet Options > click the Content tab > click the clear SSL state button (you can perform similar actions in all other browsers)
  • Disable any firewalls or service blocking software to narrow down the problem (can be enabled later)
  • Go to the start menu > go to run (the search bar) > type in msconfig > click the services tab > make sure anything related to HTTP or web services is turned on
  • Go to the start menu > go to run (the search bar) > type in CMD (this should bring up your command prompt) > type in "netsh interface tcp set global autotuning = disabled" (without the quotes). To turn it back on you would simply type the same thing with = enabled

Let me know if any of this helps... there are many more things to try... this is where troubleshooting comes into play :)

By the way, Do you get a certificate warning when you open the browser to a secure site or just a blank page?

commented: Setting the clock did the trick for me! +0

did u ever figure it out i am have the same issue as well i cannot go to most ssl secure sites and i am usin windows 7 as well

It ended up being some settings in NOD32 Antivirus that I had previously tweaked, but I am guessing I went too far. Resetting NOD32 back to default and rebooting stopped this behaviour.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.