was the difference between windows 7 ultimate 32-bit and windows 7 ultimate 64-bit?

btw I ordered windows 7 ultimate 64-bit! (comes free with my dell desktop)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It depends on Your CPU. If it is 23bit then you must get the 32 bit version. If it is 64bit then you can use either.
The 64bit version should in theory be a bit quicker than the 32bit version.

64-Bit has better performance out of a 32-bit operating system. Go for it.

Thing is, if the original poster doesn't have a 64bit CPU, it wont work!!

All Intel CPUs since 2007 are 64 bit. Since he's just ordered his Dell desktop, the CPU will be at least dual core and will be 64 bit.

The 64 bit OS works faster than its 32 bit counterpart. 32 bit apps will not run any faster in a 64 bit OS because they run in a 32 bit virtual machine.

The difference between the two is noticeable if you have 4GB RAM or more and you want to keep lots of applications in memory. The 64 bit OS will make full use of RAM and minimise roll-out/roll-in effort.

All Intel CPUs since 2007 are 64 bit. Since he's just ordered his Dell desktop, the CPU will be at least dual core and will be 64 bit.

The 64 bit OS works faster than its 32 bit counterpart. 32 bit apps will not run any faster in a 64 bit OS because they run in a 32 bit virtual machine.

The difference between the two is noticeable if you have 4GB RAM or more and you want to keep lots of applications in memory. The 64 bit OS will make full use of RAM and minimise roll-out/roll-in effort.

Well explained.

was the difference between windows 7 ultimate 32-bit and windows 7 ultimate 64-bit?

btw I ordered windows 7 ultimate 64-bit! (comes free with my dell desktop)

Primary differences from a user point of view are:

1. 64 bit can address larger memory space, so it can make better use of large memory, if available.

2. 64 bit may have driver issues. Many older printers and other devices do not have 64bit drivers. Limits the use of many older devices.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.