I just wanted to get this one out there. Ever since I upgraded to Vista 32 bit my video card will not work.
I tried the usual, reloading the software, disabling-enabling, removing and reinstalling the card.
It is a ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB. After days of screwing with this thing I found this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
Thats right folks. If you do not have the right hardware Vista 32 bit will not work with your video card.
It worked fine with XP.
To fix it all I have to do is buy Vista 64 bit. I think I will buy a Mac instead. Ten years of making excuses for Microsoft are enough.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

It's ATI's responsibility to provide drivers for their products. Take it out on them not Microsoft.

Have you downloaded and installed the drivers from here?

Have you tried contacting AMD/ATI?

Do you have on board Graphics aswell as this card?

In the device manager what is listed under display adaptors?

All very good questions.

Yes, multiple times. Full suite and just driver. Tried getting computer to "see" driver through Update Driver process.

No, I generally do not contact big companies, since their service usually sucks and they hide their contact points.
However, I will give it a shot and try.....

Do you have on board Graphics as well as this card?
No, the computer came with a basic card which I swapped out for the 3650

Under the device manager the card is listed as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" And hardly works at all.

I appreciate the help. At this point, after reading the Microsoft link I posted I am sort of assuming the older computer I have with the 32 bit operating system has left me with few options. I have 4 gig of RAM in the computer and the System Information reads 3327 MB. Just like the article describes.....

Also look to ATI's support forum community, as you may well not be the only one to have had issues with card on Vista (or on an older system).

And agree with Suspishio on this one - if MS had to provide drivers for every piece of hardware on the market, they'd never have time to develop an OS (and don't assume non-Apple hardware support is any better on OS X - can actually be worse, as some vendors don't even provide a Mac-based driver at all!)

All very good questions.

Yes, multiple times. Full suite and just driver. Tried getting computer to "see" driver through Update Driver process.

No, I generally do not contact big companies, since their service usually sucks and they hide their contact points.
However, I will give it a shot and try.....

Do you have on board Graphics as well as this card?
No, the computer came with a basic card which I swapped out for the 3650

Under the device manager the card is listed as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" And hardly works at all.

I appreciate the help. At this point, after reading the Microsoft link I posted I am sort of assuming the older computer I have with the 32 bit operating system has left me with few options. I have 4 gig of RAM in the computer and the System Information reads 3327 MB. Just like the article describes.....

It's really frustrating that the 3650 is not supported by AMD on Vista 32 but it is on Vista 64. As you might know, the reason for the card working as a standard VGA device is that its BIOS is independent of Vista; this BIOS is run when you boot so that at least standard VGA can be seen.

You haven't mentioned which CPU you've got, but it's probably 64 bit and thus Vista 64 compatible (Vista 64 comes with Vista 32 - at least ir did in my box). You can check this out. It's up to you how you spend your money - but I do feel sorry for you.

If moving to x64, would hold off for Win7, as has much better hardware support and runs a damned sight lighter & cleaner anyhow (big plus if you're a gamer :) )

So I have contacted ATI through Email to their Technical people.
And I am waiting........ Hopefully they will get back to me within a week.
I also looked at the support forums and found this:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=99582&highlight_key=y&keyword1=This%20device%20cannot%20start%2E%20%28Code%2010%29

Different operating system and hardware. The moderator had no clue. Not much help there since I did run driver cleaner and it did not help.
I actually put an old hard drive with a clean Vista installation in and the card still did not work. So it is definitely a Vista/Hardware issue.

I guess I will wait for their people to get back to me.....

And sure Windows 7 is better. Thats what they said about 98, Millennium and Vista.
If it is better (it should be it looks exactly like Mac's Leopard) I should get one for free just for paying for their failures.
How is it a COMPUTER company which had 4% of the market a few years back can make a better operating system than Microsoft?

Like I said, you can't blame Microsoft for AMD/ATI not providing a driver for your card - that is if I understood your last sentence correctly.

Well I have to be pissed at someone:) And the upgrade to Vista was what created the problem.
So I tried to update my Bios through Dell. It asks what operating system is being supported, Vista is not listed on the pull down.
Appreciate you folks trying to help me, but I think I am going to let this one go.

If this is a Dell system , you might want to head to support.dell.com and check if Dell has any drivers available for the card. Once on the site, click drivers and downloads and go from there.

What's the model # of that system anyway?

And sure Windows 7 is better. Thats what they said about 98, Millennium and Vista.
If it is better (it should be it looks exactly like Mac's Leopard) I should get one for free just for paying for their failures.
How is it a COMPUTER company which had 4% of the market a few years back can make a better operating system than Microsoft?

Try using a Mac in place of your Windows box. Unless you have Mac variants of all your apps, you'll go nuts trying to get any productive work done... that's besides the time you'll need to get used to the layout of OS X

Well I have to be pissed at someone:) And the upgrade to Vista was what created the problem.
So I tried to update my Bios through Dell. It asks what operating system is being supported, Vista is not listed on the pull down.
Appreciate you folks trying to help me, but I think I am going to let this one go.

"Vista is not listed on the pull down" is your clue. ATI/AMD made the choice not to continue support for the card in the newer Windows OS, and Dell again made the choice not to support Vista for an older PC model. Vendor choices not MS's - it's not Miscrosoft's responsibility to constantly pester each and every HW vendor to get their act together! As to moving to Apple expecting better HW support... not only did I move away from Apple, for one, over just that issue, I teach IT and digital arts in a school that is split btwn Mac's and PC's... just try getting much of that HW which is not either Apple branded or "not approved" by Apple to work on said Mac... good luck!!

My basic thinking about Apple and Microsoft go like this. I have to reinstall my Microsoft operating system every two years, or it slows down.
Abut every three years I try and upgrade my computer with RAM, Operating system or Video card. Just to keep up.
Every time I do any of these action it is fraught with danger. Many times I find myself in the situation I am in now. Screwed. Spending days trying to work out a problem.
After years of this I am now looking at the cost of the computer and the cost of the upgrades.
My conclusion is, I need to buy a computer that will last four years and has a stable operating system. And not upgrade it.
At this point (and for about the last six years) I think Apple fits this bill better than other computers with a Microsoft operating system.
Mainly due to the stability and virus protection their operating system offers.

At this point (and for about the last six years) I think Apple fits this bill better than other computers with a Microsoft operating system.
Mainly due to the stability and virus protection their operating system offers.

Up to you. MAC OS is a better system than Windows. It is better keyed to hardware. An excellent piece of software engineering.

But, for what my opinion's worth, kaninelupus has got it right. You'll be well locked in for the future at prices to match. If that's OK with you, MAC products ought to serve you well.

i need help somebody pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee... I can not run downloaded games.. I play hidden object games and they will not run.. when i goto control panel on the device manager there is a yellow hazard on the linee of standard vga graphics adapter... and when i click on repair it says error code 10... what do i need to do to get this working properly? i just bought this brand new comp. from dell almost 4 months ago.. I run windows 7 and i have a 64 bit

i need help somebody pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee... I can not run downloaded games.. I play hidden object games and they will not run.. when i goto control panel on the device manager there is a yellow hazard on the linee of standard vga graphics adapter... and when i click on repair it says error code 10... what do i need to do to get this working properly? i just bought this brand new comp. from dell almost 4 months ago.. I run windows 7 and i have a 64 bit

This is a 6 month old thread, start a new thread as very few people will be cruising an old post. also when you start a new thread it will post at the top of the page. Later---

I just wanted to get this one out there. Ever since I upgraded to Vista 32 bit my video card will not work.
I tried the usual, reloading the software, disabling-enabling, removing and reinstalling the card.
It is a ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB. After days of screwing with this thing I found this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
Thats right folks. If you do not have the right hardware Vista 32 bit will not work with your video card.
It worked fine with XP.
To fix it all I have to do is buy Vista 64 bit. I think I will buy a Mac instead. Ten years of making excuses for Microsoft are enough.

got the same problem dell send me a link to restore that drive and is working now

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.