Since the launch of Vista, articles have been fairly negative about Microsoft's next-gen operating system. Which can be expected, since it's "Microsoft", is prone to bugs and viruses, and is a slow monster, right? It couldn't be farther from the truth.

This "bug" which we speak of - how can it even be considered a bug? This flaw could exist in the thousands of voice-activated applications. It's so stupid; who in their right mind would play some audio file on their voice activation-enabled Vista that says commands such as "File", "Exit", etc.. You've got to be a pretty big nuthead to allow something like THAT to overcome your new system.

In regards to bugs and viruses; actually I think this is something which is not too bad yet. Microsoft's pronlonged beta testing of Windows Vista has several noteable benefits; this is one of them. Microsoft has fixed the bugs from XP that viruses took advantage of, and hopefully we'll see a reduced amount of viruses in Vista. Not to say that there won't be any, but it's inevitable. Linux and Mac OS X have viruses, and they're considered to be "secure". So the only reason Vista is going to have more bugs and viruses is probably because it's the lead OS, which is the price you have to pay.

Slowness: why does everyone complain about Vista's slowness? True, it has a fairly large memory requirement. But there's a thing here which many people don't realize: the beta testers who reported the actual speeds of Vista are not completely accurate, as the beta versions of Vista actually have debugging code enabled. And we all know how fast that is when debug is enabled. :rolleyes: Granted, Aero takes a bit of oomph to render, but do you really expect transparency to render fast? The more transparent something is, the longer is takes to render. So of course Aero needs fairly high machine standards.

There have also been complaints about lack of video card support in Vista. So what? Just wait until Microsoft writes it for you. Apple had the same problem when they were transitioning to OS X, leaving many people unable to do simple things such as burn a CD. And look how that turned out. No, I can nearly guarantee you that this will merely delay sales by the amount of time that Microsoft takes to write them.

So why the negative reviews, then? Well, the "hating Microsoft" trend has been increasingly popular, brewed by our friends at Digg and Slashdot. Also, I think that the long beta-testing period for Vista kind of spoiled the surprise; I'm sure that people would have been much more excited about Aero if they had never seen it before. Besides, it wouldn't have given any time for all those Vista themes for XP and Linux to come out and make users feel indifferent about Aero. However, give Microsoft credit that they tried something new.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.