OK, so I just fresh installed Windows 7, and after it reboots (like twice) as part of the installation process, it prompted for my username, update settings, time zone, etc.

Then every time after that, when it boots up, it can't get past the glowing windows logo. It just sits there glowing indefinitely.

I've tried changing every setting in by BIOS to no end. Safe mode gets to "classpnp.sys" and stops loading. Boot logging leaves no actual log. Ive reinstalled it from the disc twice.

I *think* it might have something to do with windows using the wrong drivers for my video card after the initial performance test. This could be why it worked before the performance test but not after. But as it won't boot, I have no way to install the correct drivers..

I'm really good with computers.. I just can't work this stupid problem out..

help?

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Do you have any type of Creative card installed?
If so, try removing that card and see if the system boots.
Also, in the BIOS, make sure you have Plug-n-Play OS enabled.

also if your board has onboard video device as well as you addin card ,try removing the addin card and booting.

unrelaeated to your proplem i know but!
e: creative card ,i have audigy 2 and its fuggs up badly in win7 ,it loads and works ,then after a couple of reboots or bsod it need to be fixed /reinstalled .got updated drives from creative ,but when trying to install them it sees no creative devices .its using a KX audio drive for creative right now that gets loaded when i try driver update and tell it to search the web ,seem to work ok ,installes everything except greative game port .don't use it anyway

I don't believe I have a creative card, and even if I did one it would be integrated, so I couldn't remove it.

My graphics card is also integrated so I can't remove it either.

heres a link to my laptop specs: http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=6

I couldn't find the plug-and-play OS option in my BIOS, and as I said, I've already tried tweaking every option in it.

oh, you faile to tell us in your first post it was a laptop !
i say try again! or look in bios for use basic vga mode or something like that

I've tried changing every setting in by BIOS to no end.
?

after all that ,if you haven't all ready try setting bios back to defaults

Have you tried MSI tech support ?

MSI tech support are royal idiots (already tried them).

There is no basic VGA option but the closest to it is:

Boot Graphics Adapter Priority, which I tried all five of..
1. IGD - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
2. PCI/IGD - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
3. PCI/PEG - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
4. PEG/IGD - Windows still doesn't boot
5. PEG/PCI - Default

And yes.. I have tried to reset BIOS to defaults..

MSI tech support are royal idiots (already tried them).

There is no basic VGA option but the closest to it is:

Boot Graphics Adapter Priority, which I tried all five of..
1. IGD - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
2. PCI/IGD - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
3. PCI/PEG - Black screen - Had to clear CMOS
4. PEG/IGD - Windows still doesn't boot
5. PEG/PCI - Default

And yes.. I have tried to reset BIOS to defaults..

time to try a reinstall i guess to see if you have better luck,and when you get to this part"update settings, time zone, etc" make sure the display settings are correct ,not set to high

Ive already tried reinstalling twice and it never asks for the display settings.. it sets them automatically.

Ive already tried reinstalling twice and it never asks for the display settings.. it sets them automatically.

OH,must be not compatible with win7, sorry all i have to offer maybe someone else has a fix ,

One point not mentioned, and is particularly poignant to Notebook users. Moving to Win7 (especially if migrating from XP, but even sometimes moving from Vista).... is a good idea to perform any BIOS upgrades available for your system - just make sure the upgrades are for your exact model, or you'll likely brick your machine.

Also, please detail the EXACT order you are installing hardware drivers.... certain drivers NEED to be installed before others or the sh1t will hit the fan in a big way!

NB: @CaperJack - sorry buddy, but you have barely scratched the surface in offering assistance on this one, as things get a little more complicated when dealing with upgrading an OS on a Notebook. One point to note is never rely on an OEM to provide the latest hardware drivers for your machine! ALWAYS double-check to see if the specific hardware manufacturer has issued more recent hardware drivers for components :)

I don't exactly have a working windows partition right now--(i'm using ubuntu) so I can't update the BIOS. I'll try booting into some windows based bootcd and installing them from there..

and for all the other drivers. Windows never boots and gives me a chance to install ANY drivers. I have never actually got to my desktop before it froze, so there is no way I CAN install the drivers. (unless there any way I can mount he partition with ubuntu and copy the drivers over while its off--which I doubt there is)

And.. I tried burning a COMPLETELY different ISO I downloaded off the Internet of the disc, to the same result.

My BIOS drivers were already up to date.

I also tried first installing vista, then starting the windows 7 installation from inside vista so that it could get the installation updates from the internet, also no luck.

Its got me beat :-/

Are you working with 32 or 64bit Windows here (Vista and Win7)?? If x64, you could simply be looking at one or two core HW components which are not x64 compatible. Beyond that, could be something as simple as a faulty component, such as RAM. Given that this machine appears to be Win7 certified, I'd recommend taking the laptop back to where you bought it and get MSi to sort it out.... could be a small HW issue that you could spend forever trying to hunt down and still miss.

64 bit. I'll go talk to MSI..

did you ever get a a solution to your issue? im running into the same problem bt i have a dell...

sorry I didn't post the solution previously, but here it is:

I was trying to install an OEM version of 7, but it was interfering with the SLIC integrated into my BIOS. I solved the problem by downloading the RTM version of 7 and installing it.

did you ever get a a solution to your issue? im running into the same problem bt i have a dell...

This is a 6 month old thread that not many posters are going to look at. You need to go to contents page of Windows Vista and Windows 7 Forum at top left corner of list choose Start New Thread, then post your problem. With a current date more posters will read it.

The Problem is related to an old version of Bios, try to flash the Bios with new version using MSI Live update

The Problem is related to an old version of Bios, try to flash the Bios with new version using MSI Live update

The OP was using a pre-release version of Win7 last year. The recent post are from someone who "downloaded" it (illegally??)

Move on people.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.