On my Windows 7 laptop at home, I'm getting usb host controller error code 43. My usb printer works and my usb flash drive works but my external 250gb usb drive does not work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

Using the mouse;

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Using the keyboard;
Again, disconnecting all USB devices

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

i did this, and it worked perfectly, but as usuall, shortly after, my devices stoped working again. on a clean install they work for a bit, then eventually stop. uninstalling the usb's like is posted, WORKS, then eventually i get error 43 again when i plug in a usb device. WTF AM I DOING WRONG??????????

i have the same problem with my usb flash drive and my sony ericssson mobile.
i did what you said with uninstaling the host.....but not working
please help :)

On my Windows 7 laptop at home, I'm getting usb host controller error code 43. My usb printer works and my usb flash drive works but my external 250gb usb drive does not work. Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've just bought a Samsung N110 netbook, running Windows 7 and could not get my Verbatim 2.5" 320GB HHD to work on it at all - wouldn't format it, wouldn't recognise it. I took it back to Curry's, where I bought the netbook and asked their techy for advice. After a good hour's attempts to solve it, he was just about to give up when he read in some blog about using a USB hub to connect it up. He did this AND IT WORKED perfectly!!! Thank you Phil at St Helens' Currys!:)
(We have no real idea why this works, but it does!)

Hello,
I have the same problem. I used to have XP sp3 32-bit then upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit. I didn't have this issue back on XP. Also, this problem is only affecting 2 of my USB ports and I have 10 ports in total. Note that the damaged ports are not the ones attached to the case but those belonging to a USB card connected via PCI, which has 4 ports in total. That's what's really strange, 2 ports work fine and the other 2 have this "error 43". I connected my "Sandisk Cruzer" 16GB memory stick to one of the damaged ports and the computer hasn't recognized anything. When I reconnected it to another port on the same USB card it worked fine, however, a bit slow. But I think that's unrelated.
Sorry for making this long but I thought it might help someone on the issue

Hello,

Thank you for your contribution here it's very interesting. I have a new laptop Gateway 4Go Ram and 500Go HD, 2.0 Gz with window 7. That work great. I install a 500 Go external HD Seagate Expansion with my old files inside. Everything was perfect, I search and import files no problem.

Since I install an external gadget : Behringer UCA-222 to record my piano by a mixer (wich work wonderfully) my computer don’t recognize my external HD. I see the error 43.

But where is more painfull, I did what you explain here, except I didn’t disconnect my HD before, so I erase the file SYSTEM.exE. If I try it in another computer, I have the message: Window do not find SYSTEM.exE.

What can I do?

It doesn’t matter if that HD can’t work with my laptop, but I need it with my XP.

Thank you for your help,

Charles

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

Using the mouse;

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Using the keyboard;
Again, disconnecting all USB devices

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

Worked well, small note u do not have to uninstall all of them, as long as you get the faulty one. If u do want to uninstall all of them and have a USB Mouse & Keyboard, figure out which one is the mouse (in my case it was the ...3A36) unplug all but the mouse, uninstall them all but the mouse, and as last thing uninstall the mouse as well (after which u are only able to remotely control ur computer until u reboot).

PS
This is nothing new really, been the same ever since Windows 98
But then again that is actually the case with most of Windows 7 or whatever flavor of Windows u have (save the fancy colors).
Not that the Chief Architect of Microsoft is actually going to read (and heed) it, but why don't they do the world a favor and just for once spend a little bit of effort and fix all the old stuff instead of changing the UI one more time or add more junk on top of the old crumbly (MS-DOS, Windows or whatever they call it this time), or alternatively do the world a real favor and just drop dead. This is actually a gr8 example.
A simple thing. If Windows actually was something that deserves the title Operating System it would automatically keep its integrity in tact by design. Since it is just some Mickey Mouse thing the world is stuck with, check occasionally if it still works and if not, just do what u do here manually and do it in the background so we're not annoyed by it... Any halfway decent programmer could do that in 1 day.
While I'm at it, the European Commission were the only ones having the guts to to the right thing (Hefty fine for abusing the monopolistic position, Hefty fine for ignoring the court orders, Force to give users a choice in browser or more hefty fines etc, the only language they understand, unfortunately the US counterparts are either inept impotent or more likely corrupt)!

Hi ive tried your fix and it keeps installing a corrupted usb controller device. The device corrupted using a lenovo fingerprint reader that was factory installed. Forget trying to get the company to fix it, they can't (on going problem 2 yrs). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I had the problem with xp and when I installed window 7 it worked about a dozen times and is now corrupted. Hellllllllllp.

Hi ive tried your fix and it keeps installing a corrupted usb controller device. The device corrupted using a lenovo fingerprint reader that was factory installed. Forget trying to get the company to fix it, they can't (on going problem 2 yrs). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I had the problem with xp and when I installed window 7 it worked about a dozen times and is now corrupted. Hellllllllllp.

name make and model # of you computer might help,us help you .and im not reading all of the post above to figure out exactly what you problem is so please explain it a little better ,than "I have same issue !"

name make and model # of you computer might help,us help you .and im not reading all of the post above to figure out exactly what you problem is so please explain it a little better ,than "I have same issue !"

So sorry, i am not very computer savvy. It is a lenovo x 61 tablet. I have to tell you after reading a bunch of posts I was able to fix my problem with my admin tools in the control panel. If it wasn't for all the info I found on this site I would have never figured this problem out. Thanks to everyone.

Sorry I was mistaken when I thought I fixed my problem though admin tools. I fixed this "Unknown Deice" Windows error code 43 problem by simply unplugging and removing the battery from my laptop, re-powered & restarted my computer, and bang they all loaded correctly. Now my fingerprint reader and everything else is working fine. I know it sounds dumb, but it worked for me!

Trying to install software for clear wireless internet, the software comes on a usb flash drive, xp says the usb malfunctioned, so i tried it on my windows 7 desktop and got error code 43. We tried the trouble shooter on both systems and neither can find the drivers to install the mass storage device and keeps telling us the device malfunctioned. All other items plugged into these usb ports work just fine. The device is brand new. Any ideas?

I have been using the Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and for months w/no problems now this AM get the 43 code. Reinstalled disk that came with devices and still same code. I have a Dell Inspirion Laptop 1750 w/Windows 7. The FixIt won't work with WIndows 7. What should I do?

Guys i tried this fix with no luck. Bios and chipset up to date flashes. HP PAVILION A1247C.Printer can't download driver as it doesn't get recognized in
usb port. Upgraded to windows 7 and this is my issue...Thanks Phil

I have 3 type of deferential usb pend drives all have same problem of code 43 non of your advice worked.

Same problem here I tried the uninstall and reinstall of the USB Host controllers and it reinstalled the same corrupted files and I was given the message- Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete.
I am using a HP G62-224CA Laptop with an AMD processor
Any Help would be appreciated :)

I have a doubt that there might be an incompatible data transfer rate between device and USB connector. Since, USB 2.0 is limited up to 480mbps, so try using USB 3.0 which is limited up to 4.8 gbps.

Having same error code (43) when I try to use my usb headphones. Other usb devices work well. Please help.

sorry, running windows 7 Ultimate on Toshiba notebook Satellite Pro. 3 GB ram

Try disabling selective suspend on the USB host controller's Root hub to fix this issue:

*For Microsoft Windows Vista (and windows 7)
1.Click Start, and type device manager in the Start Search box.
2.Click Device Manager in the Programs list.
3.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
4.In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5.Right-click USB Root Hub and then click Properties.
6.In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab.
Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for each USB Root Hub listed in the Device Manager.

Under Power settings, check the 'USB settings' -> 'USB selective suspend settings' and make sure it is disabled.

I read on another forum that pulling the battery out and leaving it out for 10 minutes works. I was skeptical, but tried it, and guess what - it works! I have a compaq 620 laptop.

;)
Try looking at this thorough guide on how to solve ERROR Code 43 problem... Hope it helps!!!

;)
Try looking at this thorough guide on how to solve ERROR Code 43 problem... Hope it helps!!!

what guide ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.