Hey, so at my high school, they just got a lot of new windows 7 machines with 8GB of ram and Intel 2.6GHz quad core processors and 1TB hard drives, but they keep randomly crashing. A few of them, some kids hit the power cables and now they won't start up and can't fix it. One finally did. And one crashed 3 times, and after the 3rd wouldn't recognize the hard drive anymore. They are Acers, and the computer instructor and I can't seem to find out exactly why or why they are doing this. We looked online and found that RacTask had caused this on some, so we disabled it.

So, does anyone have any ideas on why they would be doing this? Thanks everyone!

(Oh, and the main tech person here ghosted the hard drives. If that would mean anything or not, I don't know, but you all might.)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

First of all, I'm not sure you should be messing with your school's computers. Leave it to the IT staff to fix the problem.
Second, it does sound like a problem with the image, if they're all having the same problem.

They are Acers, and the computer instructor and I can't seem to find out exactly why or why they are doing this.

I assume that he is working with the computer instructor and therefore has permission to work on them.

Hey, so at my high school, they just got a lot of new windows 7 machines with 8GB of ram and Intel 2.6GHz quad core processors and 1TB hard drives, but they keep randomly crashing. A few of them, some kids hit the power cables and now they won't start up and can't fix it. One finally did. And one crashed 3 times, and after the 3rd wouldn't recognize the hard drive anymore. They are Acers, and the computer instructor and I can't seem to find out exactly why or why they are doing this. We looked online and found that RacTask had caused this on some, so we disabled it.

So, does anyone have any ideas on why they would be doing this? Thanks everyone!

(Oh, and the main tech person here ghosted the hard drives. If that would mean anything or not, I don't know, but you all might.)

is system recovery not working?

is system recovery not working?

On one of them the start up repair ran for like 3 hours and did nothing, so we took it back down to the main tech here, and they sent one back to us and it works now, and yes, I do have permission to mess with them and such. The one that wouldn't recognize the hard drive they are working on now.

I also did some research and found that the RAM might be an issue possibly? I dunno.

I assume that he is working with the computer instructor and therefore has permission to work on them.

Eh... instructors don't necessarily have that kind of permission, either. At least no instructor I ever had that didn't also work for IT had permission to mess with the computers or authorize other people to mess with them.
Either way, I'd say reimage them using an image from the one that works now first of all.

Ok, so now not all of them are messing up. We didn't do anything to them. Sometimes they will lag up a little but I'll mention reimaging them tomorrow and see if they'll do it or not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.