I have a wired network with a 2 laptops, PC and Tivo connected. I`ve recently upgraded the laptop from Vista to 7 and the PC from XP to 7,the second laptop is running Ubuntu.
Everything worked well until the PC would no longer connect to the web although it has full access to the network. The 2 laptops and Tivo continue to access the web, through the network.
I`ve ran the Win7 troubleshooter many times, installed network magic-no joy, and recycled the cable modem often nothing helps.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hello, fellow Tivo user.
Post ipconfig from the PC.
Is there a firewall installed?
What router are you using? I'd suspect a problem with the router config.

Hello, fellow Tivo user.
Post ipconfig from the PC.
Is there a firewall installed?
What router are you using? I'd suspect a problem with the router config.

Thanks for the prompt reply

Windows firewall is enabled
Its a Netgear RP614 router
The PC had access to the web and then it did`nt. I cant think that anything changed.

Thanks again Dave

To post ipconfig info, click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories and Right-click Command Prompt. Select "Run as Administrator." Click Continue in the UAC window. In the Command window, type "ipconfig" (without the quotes) and you will get an output like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wired LAN:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig >

Right click on the top of the window and Edit -> Select All

Right click on the top of the window and Edit -> Copy

Jump back to DaniWeb and Right-Click in the message window and select "paste."

To post ipconfig info, click Start -> All
Right click on the top of the window and Edit -> Select All

Right click on the top of the window and Edit -> Copy

Jump back to DaniWeb and Right-Click in the message window and select "paste."

Problem is I dont have web access from the PC in question so I had to save it as a text file and upload it via a laptop

Right! Sorry - Paste it into a text document (notepad) and save it to a flash drive, or other media. Or just type it. We are most interested in the status of your devices, the IP addresses and the default gateway address.

See if this applies:
http://heaths.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!9415F61CBB1A8030!1819.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=246245898

Brilliant...you`ve saved me hours of flogging around this box looking for an answer..many thanks

Pushing my luck here but another problem has stuck its head above the parapet:
The bios wants to boot from cd/dvd so I hit F8 on start up and tell it to boot from HDD but there now does`nt seem to be a facility to save the settings and I have to change it every time I boot. I dont know which make of motherboard is fitted other than its intel 828 chipset.

Can I access the bios another way?

Typically, it would be Delete or maybe F2.
This info is usually on the screen briefly at boot up. What's the make of the PC?

This info is usually on the screen briefly at boot up. What's the make of the PC?

Its a medion about 4 years old but very quiet & reliable. The top of the screen apparently scrolls up before it comes visable but F8 used to bring the full bios screen up but now only gives me , non saveable boot options...quite annoying.
I`ll try rebooting a few times and use other keys.

Great site by the way.

Cheers Dave

F8 will bring you to the advanced boot options. To enter BIOS, you usually tap delete key on startup within a specific window of time (a few seconds). If you read the first screen that appears when you turn the system on, it will usuallly tell you the key to press for your system. Other common keys are F1, F2, F10. Rather than BIOS, it may be called "Setup."

Once in the BIOS you will look for the Boot Order.

Will you be posting the ipconfig info so we can help resolve this thread?

Sorry I thought I had...will try again

I`m back on line with this computer so I`ll include it below in case my text file is`nt uploading properly but it shows
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 for which I can thank the bonjour service for. Disabled it and viola I`m up again.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : RP614v4
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e479:6cd2:5020:25fe%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Tunnel adapter isatap.RP614v4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : RP614v4

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

C:\Windows\system32>

This info is usually on the screen briefly at boot up.

4 reboots and I found the delete key brought up the proper bios screen.

Again many thanks
Dave

I'm a bit confused. It says the default gateway is 0.0.0.0 then under that it says 192.168.1.1. Hmmm and you say it is up?! How can this be? Is automatic configuration enabled?

Did each adapter have a different default gateway?

I'm a bit confused. It says the default gateway is 0.0.0.0 then under that it says 192.168.1.1. Hmmm and you say it is up?! How can this be? Is automatic configuration enabled?

I`m no techie so I`ll quote from Heath Stewarts blog if I may:

At home I decided to update our Vista SP1 Media Center to Win7 RC. Almost everything went smoothly except that on boot my machine couldn’t connect to the Internet. When I looked at the Network and Sharing Center, “Unidentified network” showed up. To check my network configuration I dropped into a command prompt and ran “ipconfig /all” only to find that I had a new default gateway address: 0.0.0.0”. Disabling and re-enabling the NIC fixed the issue until the next reboot.
Then I was pointed at KB970313. It seems there’s a race condition at startup – which also seems to have gained a boost with Win7 – where if the Apply Bonjour service starts before my NIC retrieves settings from my router, the default gateway 0.0.0.0 is added. And while their web page claims, “Thanks to Bonjour technology, getting computers and smart devices to work together is as easy as connecting them”, it had quite the opposite effect for me: no connectivity to the outside world.

He went on to describe how to disable the bonjour service and it worked like a charm for me.

Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.