I have recently installed Windows 7 from Windows XP and I have no sound. I have installed loads of software to see if that can resolve the problem but nothing seems to work. Now again there is a faint crackle from the speakers as if it is trying to start up. I have check the device manager at the High Definition device and the error code is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Please can you advise how I can get sound.

Thje sound card is CMedia CMI9880L

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

most like you need to go to web site of your computer maker or motherboard maker , and get win7 drivers for you sound device if there are any!

There can be quite a few issues if upgrading to w7 from xp or even vista with drivers and software.
I would suggest backing up your files and running a clean install of w7
with the pc connected. you will find w7 will pick up most if not all of the right drivers automatically this way rather than sitting on top of the old xp ones

I have recently installed Windows 7 from Windows XP and I have no sound. I have installed loads of software to see if that can resolve the problem but nothing seems to work. Now again there is a faint crackle from the speakers as if it is trying to start up. I have check the device manager at the High Definition device and the error code is "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
Please can you advise how I can get sound.

Thje sound card is CMedia CMI9880L

Thanks

I don't know what is going on with Win 7 audio drivers. I have a similar problem on a Lenovo Z60m. After upgrade from XP, I have no sound. In my case it is reporting that the speakers are "unplugged" and I get no sound at all; even with headphones.

I also have tried all kinds of driver software installs and upgrades to no avail.

I don't think Lenovo uses Cmedia. I have tried Realtek and Soundmax drivers. But none of them work.

It appears to be a bug or flaw in the Windows High Def audio controller software, to me. I have not found any fix either.

it must be a fresh/clean install as its not possible to upgrade to win7 from winxp

it must be a fresh/clean install as its not possible to upgrade to win7 from winxp

Yes, your right. but I meant that I started with XP on the machine and installed Win 7. While it won't "upgrade it" it will install over XP.

if your disk came with a cd key which it should
you should be able to boot from it format the system partition or drive and run it as a clean install rather than an upgrade.
just back up your data first.
upgrade disks and install disks both work the same - at least they do in the uk!

if your disk came with a cd key which it should
you should be able to boot from it format the system partition or drive and run it as a clean install rather than an upgrade.
just back up your data first.
upgrade disks and install disks both work the same - at least they do in the uk!

hi, there was no upgrade ,just a miss use of the work upgrade

Yes, your right. but I meant that I started with XP on the machine and installed Win 7. While it won't "upgrade it" it will install over XP.

right and it will tell you that its going to format and create a folder called windows.old where it will store you xp files ,or at least it should

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.