My mother in law brought me her computer because she is unable to connect to the internet all of a sudden. Shes running Vista. I had no problem with a wireless connection at my home, but it will not work wnen connected to the modem. I checked the network connections, and theres only Local Area Connection Network 3 available. Not really sure what happened to 1 and 2, as its not my computer. And I have no idea how to fix this problem. Any suggestions??

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi!
First thing to do is to check if the wireless switch is of. That often happens :D

ok,so wireless works at your house.
assume when you say modem you mean dialup,best thing to do is get all her dialup info /dialup phone number phone number /username password ect ect ,and remove the 3 showing and create a new acct .

how to istructions .
http://www.niu.edu/its/internet/dial_in_vista.shtml

Set up a DSL or cable connection

To set up a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) or cable connection, you first need an account with an Internet service provider (ISP). For DSL, the ISP is usually a phone company; for cable, it's usually a cable TV provider.

You will also need a modem, a router, or a device that combines the two. Some ISPs will send you these devices in the mail; otherwise, you will need to buy them. When you have your modem and router or your combination device, either follow the instructions provided by your ISP, or follow the corresponding steps below.
If you have one device (a combined modem and router)

Plug the device into an electrical outlet.

Plug one end of a phone cord or cable into the wide area network (WAN) port of the device, and then plug the other end into the wall jack. The WAN port should be labeled "WAN." (DSL users: Do not use a DSL filter on the phone line.)

Plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the local area network (LAN) port on the device, and then plug the other end into the networking port of the computer that you want to connect to the Internet. The LAN port should be labeled "LAN." (If you are connecting wirelessly, skip this step.)

Start (or restart) the computer.

Open the Connect to the Internet wizard by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, clicking Set up a connection or network, and then clicking Connect to the Internet.
The Connection looks like this http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vs-net-center.jpg

I think you can do all such extra stuff with your operating system CD. There are options available other then install. All you have to do is follow instruction as per requirement. I have done many a time network connection but all the time with operating system CD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.