Hey everyone.

My problem is that every .exe file that I download from Windows Live SkyDrive doesn't come with its extension. It gets downloaded as a "unknown file type" file, and I just have to manualy rename it and add ".exe" everytime so it can be recognized.

Although I keep getting this from Windows Live SkyDrive and not from other sites too, the problem originaly is not from SkyDrive ; because I recall the same files being downloaded by others (and me, too before) without this problem happening. It happened after I showed the "known file extentions" thing. I tried to redone it and select "hide known file extentions" on folder options, but it didn't work.

Need some help on this one. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi endframe, those file that you downloaded from SkyDrive are you the one who uploaded it? or is it from someone else?
For some security reasons, Some sites like Daniweb, i suppose Sky Drive also does not allow .exe files to be uploaded to their server. You have to rename the file extension to something else.
I suppose this is your case also, security of the site will be vulnerable if it is accepting .exe to be uploaded and downloaded from their server. :)

hi endframe, those file that you downloaded from SkyDrive are you the one who uploaded it? or is it from someone else?
For some security reasons, Some sites like Daniweb, i suppose Sky Drive also does not allow .exe files to be uploaded to their server. You have to rename the file extension to something else.
I suppose this is your case also, security of the site will be vulnerable if it is accepting .exe to be uploaded and downloaded from their server. :)

I uploaded them myself, and I also think you are right!

This thing started happening since they changed the SkyDrive with the new changes that happend to the Windows Live Profiles, and this problem started to happen. If you can help me make sure of it, try downloading any .exe file from here:

http://cid-69269ad88a3d51dc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Programs/Programs%20and%20Tools

Does it also say "Unknown file type" ?

Thanks.

Try using another browser like Firefox or Chrome. This only appears to be an issue when using IE.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.