I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on my GATEWAY ML6731 notebook. When I selected the upgrade everything was fine. When Win 7 finished installing it just wouldnt load back up windows 7 at all to the main screen or Vista. I tried reinstalling my Vista and it asks for a product key. I tried entering the product key under my notebook and it says that my key cannot be validated. I dont have the system restore cds from gateway. When I try to reinstall vista/repair it it will say i need a product key so I bypass that by not entering a product key and select continue without a product key. Then when it tries to install I get this message "The installation was canceled. Windows cannOt open the required file E:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code: 0X8007000D

what did I do wrong? What can I do to fix this so I can get my notebook up and running to run my business.

i had this happen to me before. out come came to throwing the machine away and buying a new one...

here are some ideas to try tho

make sure u are not installing 64bit on 32bit machine

make sure all uneeded hardware is disconnected during the install (ALL usb inputs, additional drives, printers, keyboard, mice, etc. etc.) use a regular ps2 keyboard to initiate the install and wait until it is finished to disconnect

disconnect wireless cards etc.

try only leaving one ram stick in until install is finished, might be a ram issue..

good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.