hi friends plz help how to make a local disk in windows 7 and windows xp as ACCESS IS DENIED......eg i want to make D: is accessed by me only

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

You have to take ownership of the drive, so you need to be an administrator account.
If you right-click the drive, choose Properties, and select the Security tab. If you don't see the security tab, you may not be an administrator account, or you may have Win 7 home instead of Pro.

In any event, if you do have the Security tab, look at the Groups and users assigned. Since you want access for only yourself, you'll have to take ownership through the Advanced button, Owner tab. Once you change owner, close and re-open the security settings and change the names in the group/users box. You'll want to change owner and permissions recursively, to effect all the subfolders and such. OR once you take ownership and get access to the drive, you'll have to go through the same procedure for subfolders.

This was the quick and dirty answer to get you started. Let us know what turns up.

Just be aware that this works only on NTFS drives.

And never on removable drives.

Hope this helps

The error seems to suggest it must be NTFS of course.

A removable drive would not have such a low drive letter, as D: would have to be a 2nd drive or partition or a CD-ROM. Could be wrong I guess.

A removable drive would not have such a low drive letter, as D: would have to be a 2nd drive or partition or a CD-ROM. Could be wrong I guess.

just curious ,what error are you referring to

just curious ,what error are you referring to

I'm assuming if he is getting a "Access Denied" error, it's because of NTFS permissions. But I suppose there are conditions which you could receive that with FAT32? Probably more rare.

I'm assuming if he is getting a "Access Denied" error, it's because of NTFS permissions. But I suppose there are conditions which you could receive that with FAT32? Probably more rare.

no to be pickey but i read it as they [in bad English ]want to make it so no one can access the hdd in win7 and winxp..

part quote from post #1
.eg i want to make D: is accessed by me only

no to be pickey but i read it as they [in bad English ]want to make it so no one can access the hdd in win7 and winxp..

part quote from post #1
.eg i want to make D: is accessed by me only

I see, maybe so! I thought he was getting that error and so wanted to make the drive accessible to himself.

If you're right, he still needs to mess with security and permissions. Or I think he can just make the drive "private" similar to how to make folders private.

thank you...

If you figured it out then post your solution or mark the thread solved. Or let us know if we can help further.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.