Hi, I have a Toshiba NB300 laptop running win7, and I'm trying to run some software that requires a screen res of at least 1024x700.
Unfortunately, the max res of this laptop is 1024x600.
I have searched the web looking for a solution for this, people with similar issues had been advised to uncheck the 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' button in the properties menu, or reduce the screen refresh rate however these appear to be disabled.
I understand that the quality might be reduced significantly but is there any work around besides returning my laptop?
I don't care if I have to scroll slightly either - I thought there could be some sort of screen resolution emulator out there - of which I am also yet to discover.
I suddenly thought though, that maybe a virtual machine could do the trick? I haven't had any experience in using VMWare, so I guess I'm asking if you can create a windows session with a screen resolution higher than my 1024x600 native res, that I could just use within the VM Window? - As a side note, when using remote desktop with a computer with a higher res than my computer supports, I get a scrollable window. This is the sort of effect I am going for.

Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Just wondering if you cann add an external monitor with higer resolution

Short answer: Yes, I can. But I don't want to have to use an external monitor.

The software fine with the external monitor as it displays 1280x1024, so the video card clearly supports higher res. And when I pull the monitor, the computer still runs the software session, however the computer freezes when I close the laptop's lid, forcing a hard reset.

No resolution patches for the software available to my knowledge.

Short answer: Yes, I can. But I don't want to have to use an external monitor.

The software fine with the external monitor as it displays 1280x1024, so the video card clearly supports higher res. And when I pull the monitor, the computer still runs the software session, however the computer freezes when I close the laptop's lid, forcing a hard reset.

No resolution patches for the software available to my knowledge.

Maybe you can use some Virtualization using VMware or any other, and install a Virtual copy of the OS having a virtually higher resolution. I am not really sure if your laptop, and your card/monitor, will support that.

If I remember well, Microsoft requires at least a resolution of 800*600 to run their OS (exept in safe mode that runs at 640*480) so from a 'technical' point of view your laptop is OK.

I always recommend to have higher resolution screens.

Hope this helps

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

In short, no. You will need a better monitor with a higher resolution to do that. Unless you want to be scrolling all of the time, don't do it.

In short, no. You will need a better monitor with a higher resolution to do that. Unless you want to be scrolling all of the time, don't do it.

Thanks to lolafuertes for all of your help.

@ W1ND0W5 alias BHAIRAB GHOSH: If you read back through my post, I've advised that the scrolling would not have been an issue to me.

Outcome: Purchased a new laptop as this query remains unsolved to date.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.