Hi,

I can't really understand what the problem is with my work computer.
Below I will give a full description, and a summation at the bottom.

I installed an apache server, php, mysql and mozilla, the usual.
Installed Dreamweaver CS5, GIMP, SQL Server Management (accessing MSSQL databases in the system), and started working on a web interface.

The next day I logged in, I opened Microsoft Outlook and Dreamweaver CS5 and Mozilla to continue my work.

After a couple of minutes, I tried to open up IE (cross browser testing), only, it didn't start. I thought, 'hmm, thats odd', so I decided to open up task manager. Hmm, didn't start either, what the frock? Alright, opened the start menu and clicked documents, to see if I could open a text document. My documents opened, I clicked an item and the window froze, as in, (Not Responding), couldn't shut it down, even by force. Opened up control panel, 'that still works' I thought, tried to go to action center, and the window froze up. Shit.

Now my documents responded again, decided to click another item in the documents window, and it froze up again. Sigh. Open up my computer, clicked a bunch of items, seemed to work fine. Returning to the start of My Computer, with all the harddrive listings, it froze up.

'I'll just restart', thought I, and it seemed to shut down, but it never did.
So I had to do a cold shutdown (hold power button for 3 secs). This went on for a couple of restarts, and at a point it started working again, but then it came back. Opened up in Safe Mode, no such problem ever occurred, so obviously something that I've done has caused this.

I've run virus, spyware and defrag scans, I've even re-installed Windows and re-installed the aforementioned programs. The problem returned after I reinstalled my programs.

I should also mention, that, if I wait a sufficient amount of time (ranging from 5-15 minutes) this problem never occur.

• Start menu responds
  • My documents can be opened, but once an item is clicked, the window stops responding, only a couple of minutes later it responds and does the same thing.
  • Can't open any executables
  • Can't shut down computer
  • Problem never occur after 5-15 minutes of waiting after log in
  • It is NOT a virus or spyware, I've made sure of that

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Is it solvable?
What am I doing wrong?
What should I do?

Computer specs
DELL OPTIPLEX 760
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.5 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB

64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

Drive Listing:
ST380815AS ATA - Diskdrive
DVD +- RW TS-L633C ATA - DVD/CD rom drive

Graphics:
Intel 4 Series Internal Chipset

Sound:
SoundMAX Integrated Digital High Definition Audio

Network:
Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

/wall of text

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Do you have any disk utility software to check the condition of the hard drive with?
If not, try SeaTools from the SeaGate website.

Which anti-virus/anti-spyware software are you running? Did you tried stopping it and then trying everything once again? Have you checked the Event Viewer if there is appearing something odd that might cause this kind of behaviour.

Do you have any disk utility software to check the condition of the hard drive with?
If not, try SeaTools from the SeaGate website.

Think the harddrive is damaged? That's what I was thinking.
I'll add that, on occassion, you can hear a rasping noise from the computer at startup, not sure where it originates from though.

I did the tests using SeaTools from SeaGate:

• S.M.A.R.T: Pass
  • Short DST: Pass
  • Short Generic: Pass
  • Long Generic: Pass

So, either I missed an important test, or it seems there is nothing wrong with the harddrive.

Which anti-virus/anti-spyware software are you running? Did you tried stopping it and then trying everything once again? Have you checked the Event Viewer if there is appearing something odd that might cause this kind of behaviour.

I'm using McAfee, but if the problem were to derive from the anti-virus software, shouldn't the problem be occurring even before I reinstall all of the programs?

In any case, I did a re-installation of Windows 7, turned off McAfee (on startup) and reinstalled all the programs, and the problem persists.

Hmm, what about testing the ram with memtest?!?

try to run utility tool like tune up utilies 2011 hope it works..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.