Occasionally I need to log on to my childrens Windows 7 computer to sort things out. I have set them up as standard users and myself as Administrator.

I was hoping that I may would be able to log into their accounts without having to remember their passwords and simply using my administrator password along with their username. But this doesn't seem to work.

Can this 'impersonation' be done on Windows 7?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

AFAIK, there is no 'sudo' in windows.

Right click the app in question and do "Run As" ?

The 'RUN AS' would still require a password, no?

OP seems to think his admin acct password would override the other users password and allow them in to snoop .[just kidding ]

i am curious about the motivation,as well. you can 'snoop' browsing history from windows/users/etc/etc/etc/.
my advice is not require a password for the kids.

if they forget the password, the admin(you) can reset or change it from control panel or local users and groups mmc

Occasionally I need to log on to my childrens Windows 7 computer to sort things out. I have set them up as standard users and myself as Administrator.

I was hoping that I may would be able to log into their accounts without having to remember their passwords and simply using my administrator password along with their username. But this doesn't seem to work.

Can this 'impersonation' be done on Windows 7?

This is a really good question I also want to know the answer. Multiple people also uses my laptop and I am the administrator.

seriously?

and I am the administrator.

oh mighty and powerful ADMINISTRATOR ,if that were the case you would already know the answer .
me thinks your a signature spammer .lol

aha! that IS what is going on..i can't believe i didn't even notice that..wow thanks again caperjack

if you have access to any computer as an administrator you can see everything on every account, but you can never log on as them using your password as that password is only tied the the name it is associated with i.e. Administrator. There is no reason for admin accounts to ever log on as the "user" in question due to the functionality of the Admin rights. You may not see their pretty background, but you can see everything that does matter. To view everthing under that user as stated above you go to the User folder and select that user. may want to unhide hidden folders under organize (top left), folder and search options, and the view tab. gives you access to see the local. that's usually if something is hidden as in XP they hid a lot of files.

I've been in this business for 10 years as a Network Administrator and every other fancy title. It's just something microsoft doesn't allow and will never let you see their passwords without a keylogger software.

commented: good explanation +5
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.