How does one stop Windows from trying to "help" you? I am thinking Windows Explorer and the download file dialogue.Windows apparently would like to think it knows what you are doing. It doesn't. Not by a long shot. Ever attempted to drag'n'drop? It is like nailing jello to the wall.Oooh just where did my file end up THIS time. And the download dialogue in 7 is truly crappy. Even Vista wasn't this bad. Just when you think you've gotten where you want to go, Windows decides to expand crap, leaving you high and dry. What the Hell??? So the question is, is this fixable?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

To solve this problem I usually just wipe the disc and install Linux...

You will have to be more specific to your problem. What is this "download dialogue" you speak of? You mean the download window in Internet Explorer? If so, that has nothing to do with your version of Windows. You can install an older version of Internet Explorer if you don't like the latest one. Or better yet, get a different browser.

Rather than use IE for downloads as above there are other browsers, but also quite a number of free download managers that are both friendly and efficient. try googling "download managers."
M

Member Avatar for HTMLperson5

To solve this problem I usually just wipe the disc and install Linux...

The perfect way to muck up a computer ;)

I am using Windows 7 and it doesn't really try to 'help' me.
If you want to disable Windows Explorer help then: http://lifehacker.com/206860/disable-windows-explorer-help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.