A hard question, because apparently no one really knows and some ridiculous attempts at an answer have led me to the developement of viruses. For something that could just be a switch somewhere in the system, this has proven to be the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I need help.

So here's my question:

Is there a way to disable traffic monitoring? I would like to do this for my local network connection, make it look like it's completely quiet even if there is activity. Not just for the task manager or a monitoring app, but for any app or program that may be checking, make the system give a 0 or NULL, if you want, every time something wants to check the traffic.

Is there a (relatively)easy and way to do this?

Someone told me this is a very complicated task, that I would need to make a rootkit or a custom driver to modify the settings for the ip stack, but that's just exceeding my skill level. I've been programming for some time now, but I've got no idea how to make a rootkit let alone where to look for the ip stack or how to change the kernel settings so it doesn't report any traffic.

Can someone think of a better(easier) solution?

No. This is done at the driver level (internally) and you have no control at all with respect to any external devices (such as a switch/router).

Apart from writing a Virus or Malware, why would you want to do this anyway?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.