i have 1 pen drive, that is my network. how can i disable, these pen(but not all pens) or program been automatic executed?
(the windows connect to network automatic, so i don't need the program been executed)

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Services can be disabled from autostarting in the control panel, and you can remove other auto-started applications by removing them from the Start menu's All Programs Startup folder.

commented: thanks +3

Mark Russinovich (Sysinternals) has an excellent (and free) utility called autoruns that is part of the (also free) Sysinternals suite. It will tell you everything that starts automatically and allows you to disable selectively.

i'm sorry, i don't have sure if we are in same page :(
when i connect the USB pen(my network) the Kanguru software is automatic executed. i want avoid that, but i can't change the autorun file.

I'd like to crash the autorun function, so it will execute only when you access it to through software or Windows Explorer so that nothing will start automatically. Open command prompt as administrator and type this:

X:
cd /
echo > autorun.inf

But replace, X: with your USB's letter.

In case this wouldn't work, there's lots of solutions, eventually you could format it leaving no software, no autorun file, no problem.

instead a letter can i use a program name or pen 'ID'?

instead a letter can i use a program name or pen 'ID'?

I wouldn't know how this could be achieveable by cmd. Which "program name" do you mean exactly? Pendrive ID can be used to format the pendrive, leaving it empty and still usable. If you're willing to do this here's pretty detailed tutorial. But why exactly couldn't you use a letter of pendrive? It needs one to start program, if you don't know what it is, if you open "My Computer", every single drive and letter has attached letter to them, Windows is mostly on C:/, and DVD/RW drive on D:/, so your USB also has to obtain one that run a program.

Or would you like me to assist you "personally" on this, through TeamViewer?

Also, your first post says

i have 1 pen drive, that is my network.

Do you know localization of pendrive? If not, why is it there? Could you right-click on it and choose for "Properties", take screenshot of it and post it here?

i belive that i can't format the pen, because it's my networking pen(net everyhere).
how can i edit the autorun.inf file? i tryied that, but without sucess :(
seems the pen is blocked or something

...once again, you would need to know the letter.
Run cmd as administrator. Type inside:

X:
cd /
echo > autorun.inf
echo FIRST LINE OF THE FILE > autorun.inf
echo SECOND LINE OF THE FILE >> autorun.inf
echo THIRD LINE OF THE FILE >> autorun.inf
echo FOURTH LINE OF THE FILE >> autorun.inf
echo FIFTH LINE OF THE FILE >> autorun.inf

And so on. Replace X: with the letter of the pendrive. Notice the difference between FIRST LINE OF THE FILE and rest, there's a difference, watch out.

But still I don't get it, if it's USB attached over network, every single device that is usable to Windows needs a letter, here's an example on how USB attached to network looks like. In this case it's letter Y:. And this image, shows pendrive having letter Z:, I can't really help you further unless you give me the letter of pendrive, or execute commands posted above or pass me screenshot of the properties of this pendrive.

the letter is f.
i did:

echo > autorun.inf

'access denied'
the pen is blocked. i belive that i did before, but i don't know where :(
that i choosed the program and never executed again when i connected the pen to pc

'access denied'

Are you sure you ran cmd as administrator? Do you have physical access to the pendrive? If so, could you move to the computer it is attached to and attempt the same (e.g. executing scripts)? Is the stick is damaged, can you move your important files in your HDD temporarily? Do you think that if everything else fails, we can format your USB (with specific tools (3 ways to that))?

commented: thanks +3

yes. i have 100% sure. the pen it's protected, because it's for network
please see the image.
'software e jogos' -> 'software and games'
like you see have the selection ok. but the windows don't give me the ask window, just open the program

It's kind of hard to troubleshoot it from distance. Would you mind installing TeamViewer and send me data through private message? In this manner I would able to see directly what your system thinks of USB, instead of these hours long spaces.

Dear Sir J.J. also known as cambalinho,

Wanted to change autorun.inf file on an USB that has been delivered to him by his ISP for WiFi range extension, and to allow him surfing on the internet. On my behalf I attempted many ways to modify the file through TeamViewer. Unfortunately for the case, this USB is write protected. So if he really needs to change that file, he needs to refer to his ISP.

Close request.

thanks for all

Open task bar and go to serivces tab, here you will find those programs which are running automatically.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.