I'm new to this website and this is my first post. I just got a new computer with Windows ista not ery long ago. I just bought a used wireless router about a week ago. I tried to configure it and couldn't get it to work. Then I realized I should press the reset button on the back and did so. After doing this I let it configure itself automatically. The router is a netgear wgr614 v6. For some reason my computer recognizes the wireless network, but not the internet. I know this is not a problem with the cable modem or the wires between them because when I plug the router into the computer I can connect to the internet just fine. When I try to diagnose the problem with Windows Vista it says that it does not have a valid IP configuration. Does anybody know how to help me?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

i had a smiliar problem mutiple times with my XP laptop, as did a friend. how did i solve it? turned the laptop off and left it for a few days. *shrugs*

you could try manually entering an IP address, DNS etc. which on the main pc you should be able to find by doublcicking on the icon in the subtray on the pc. "support" tab will tell you the IP etc of that computer. change the last digit for an IP for the laptop.

if you're already on manual, them um. i don't know sorry :-\

Can you get to the status page of the router? If you can does it show a connection to the cable modem? Does it show the ip subnet gateway and dns servers? A wireless network can be setup without a internet connection present. Hook back up to the pc directly from the cable modem and search the support pages for the router. Contact your isp and find out if the mac address of the connection device is stored in their record for your account. Knology in our neck of the woods requires the mac address to allow connectivity. Just a few suggestions.

Some cable ISP's, Comcast being one of them, only give out one IP address to one MAC address via DHCP. What this means is that if you can plug your computer in and it gets online, but if you swap in your router, the router won't get an IP. If you plug in your router and then powercycle the Cable Modem (unplug it, plug it back in to the power) It will clear that and again give an IP address to the first device it sees.

This is what it tells me:

Connection-specific DNS suffix: (blank)
Description: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address: 00-1A-73-13-32-76
DHCP Enabled: No
IP4 IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IP4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway: (blank)
IPv4 DNS Server: (blank)
IPv4 WINS Server: (blank)
NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled: Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::44e9:e47:5682:5cd5%9
EPv6 Default Gateway: (blank)
IPv6 DNS Server: fe80::44e9:e47:5682:5cd5%9

Does this help at all? What should I do?

Click on start, open control panel and click network and internet connections. Here you will see an icon network connections, click it. This will show you local area connection in the right pane. Right click on local area connection left click on properties. Scroll down and find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Double click it. There are 4 radio buttons. Select obtain an ip address automatically. Select obtain DNS server address automatically. OK. OK. Try your internet connection again. It may take a couple of minutes to aquire an address.

Thanks for your help, but it still doesn't work. I've tried that a few times already. I've also tried turning everything off and reconnecting everything. That hasn't worked either.

I'm assuming since you have cable internet that its not PPPoE, if you need a username and password to get on the internet this wont' exactly work for you so please let us know.

First, plug in your router to your cable modem and connect your computer wirelessly to your router (since you said that way it links to your router and thats how you want to use it anyway).

powercycle everything, and then open up your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 into your address bar. One of these should bring up a loggin box.

try the username admin and the password password all lowercase. It should get you a netgear page.

Under basic settings (which you should be in all ready) Make sure the dot under "Does your Internet Connection require a login" is in "No".

Make sure there is a dot in "Get Dynamically from ISP" for "Internet Ip Address" and "Get Automatically from ISP" for "Domain Name Server (DNS) address".

Click Apply, then after the router saves the settings, click on Maintenance, and select Router Status, then click on the connection status button.

Click Release, then after that's finished click on Renew. You might want to copy down any of the information it shows here or any thing that happens while you do this because it would be relevent in further troubleshooting.

If your router gets an ip address in the above process, then you should be able to get online. If not. then try the following:

Go to Internet Options (in Control Panel or click tools in IE), connections tab, click on Lan settings, and make sure there are no checkmarks in that page.

Hit Windows key + R to bring up a run prompt. type in "cmd" and click OK. On the command prompt type "ipconfig" and press enter. whatever information it prints up on the screen copy that and post it back here.

I tried all of that and found some information. Before posting anything here I tried one last time to put my router back to its default settings and install it again. This time when I got the success page (yeah right) I saw an option to upgrade the router so I clicked on it. From there I looked around and saw a list of compatible routers for Windows Vista with upgrades next to the names of the routers. I found mine and downloaded it. It was really just a setup wizard, but this one worked better for me and went with me step by step starting from my original connection directly to the modem. I don't know what made it any different this time, but for some reason it worked and now I am connected to the internet wirelessly. Thanks everyone for all your help. If I run into the same problem again (hopefully I won't) I'll come back and ask you guys.

Hai ,,,

I am new to this.. but i have resolved the issue i got with windows vista. the issue was that it connect to the wireless but shows limited connection which results in no internet connection.

to resovle this do the following

RUN - regedit

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENT CONTROL\SERVICES\TCPIP\PARAMETERS\INTERFERANCE\{GUID}
DHCPCONNENABLEBCASTFLAGTOGGLE - set THE value to 1

and

DHCPCONNFORCEBROADCASTFLAG to 0
! be carefull save copy of registry before you modify

ok

if you dont find these flags create it

ok

. I just got a new computer with Windows ista not ery long ago. I just bought a used wireless router about a week ago. I tried to configure it and couldn't get it to work. Then I realized I should press the reset button on the back and did so. After doing this I let it configure itself automatically. The router is a netgear wgr614 v6. For some reason my computer recognizes the wireless network, but not the internet. I know this is not a problem with the cable modem or the wires between them because when I plug the router into the computer I can connect to the internet just fine. When I try to diagnose the problem with Windows Vista it says that it does not have a valid IP configuration. Does anybody know how to help me?

New to the Forum HUH >>>>>over 1000 post??????

>>I'm new to this website and this is my first post, with over 1000 post whats up with that
>>this is not a problem with the cable modem or the wires between them because when I plug the router into the computer I can connect to the internet just fine.
I am assuming you meant the MODEM, Correct.

try this in the following steps, power off the router. unplug the cable from the modem to the router, power down the modem, wait 20 sec, power up the modem then wait 20 sec, while this is happening, check to verify that all yor network setting are set to automatic.
power up the router wait 30 sec, connect the cable between the modem and router. Let us know what happen

I'm assuming since you have cable internet that its not PPPoE, if you need a username and password to get on the internet this wont' exactly work for you so please let us know.

First, plug in your router to your cable modem and connect your computer wirelessly to your router (since you said that way it links to your router and thats how you want to use it anyway).

powercycle everything, and then open up your web browser and type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 into your address bar. One of these should bring up a loggin box.

try the username admin and the password password all lowercase. It should get you a netgear page.

Under basic settings (which you should be in all ready) Make sure the dot under "Does your Internet Connection require a login" is in "No".

Make sure there is a dot in "Get Dynamically from ISP" for "Internet Ip Address" and "Get Automatically from ISP" for "Domain Name Server (DNS) address".

Click Apply, then after the router saves the settings, click on Maintenance, and select Router Status, then click on the connection status button.

Click Release, then after that's finished click on Renew. You might want to copy down any of the information it shows here or any thing that happens while you do this because it would be relevent in further troubleshooting.

If your router gets an ip address in the above process, then you should be able to get online. If not. then try the following:

Go to Internet Options (in Control Panel or click tools in IE), connections tab, click on Lan settings, and make sure there are no checkmarks in that page.

Hit Windows key + R to bring up a run prompt. type in "cmd" and click OK. On the command prompt type "ipconfig" and press enter. whatever information it prints up on the screen copy that and post it back here.

Will you help me too... I have the same problem, and I know it's nothing to do with my computer, or the router as my desktop [XP] and my Nintendo Wii both have internet. My problem is my laptop which says it recognises the Wi-fi network as it says NETGEAR signal excellent... just refuses to connect. I tried typing the IP in my internet browser - didn't work at all. I did your next suggestion in cmd and this is what it says:
Wireless LAN adapter wireless network connection:
Media state ...... : media disconnected
Connection - specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Media states.... : media disconnected
Connection specific DNS suffix . :
Tunnel adapter LAN* 9:
Media stare ... : media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS suffix

-
PLEASE HELP ME!

Well, if you'll notice, this was posted nine months ago and since then I've already fixed this problem (and I think I marked it as solved if I'm not mistaken) Lol. No, I wasn't talking about a modem anyway, it was a netgear wireless router. But anyway, this was my first post ever and this problem was the only real reason I joined Daniweb. Since then I've picked up a good deal of knowledge of visual basic (thanks to jbennet) but besides that I just hang around in the geek's lounge a lot and know very little about computers. That's where the 1800+ posts comes from.

hy!
i'm new 2 daniweb !
i just bought i laptop and the first thing that i wanted to get working was the internet.
as another guy claimed here .. i turn on the wireless system , it connects 2 the network , but has a limited connectivity.uhm..he mentioned smth about some data in the regedit system.i did what he said , but i'm afraid it's stillthe same.
can u help me with this ? (reply asap)

All I did was go to the netgear website and download something because it's for windows vista and followed those directions step by step and it step it up for me.

tx i solved it :)

Hi guys
Im no IT expert and have been having the vista wireless connection problem ,since an windows upgrade and having a few other problems at the time ,i reinstalled vista again and the wireless worked great ,it connected fast ,until another windows upgrade and back to the same problem
and I read all the post about how to fix it and tried them all,"almost"

3 days ago I changed the channel on my modem and the computer has been connected ever since and workin fast
so after about 6 months of trying all the difficult things first ,the easy thing seems to have fixed it
I hope this helps someone else
try that first you got nothing to lose
Cheers Boney from OZ

I had this problem with my daughter's Dell Inspiron laptop, which I had purchased at Best Buy. First I took it to BB - GeekSquad - they ran a diagnosis and said it had a virus and would cost about $200 to fix, or more if they could not find the virus. So I called Dell and they had it fixed in 10 min. They said to disable the wireless driver, and reboot. I don't have the exact procedure, but it was not very many menus deep. It certainly worked, and didn't cost a thing. Best Buy Geek Squad should have known this, but their solution would have been profitable, whereas Dell's was not.
Good luck.

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm having trouble connecting to the internet on my other laptop, like it says it connected, but it's limited and then I diagnose the problem and it says that the wep key may be wrong or something in that line if someone could tell me how to get to the information on the IP and wep key and stuff like that I think I can figure it out, maybe... :-/ Btw it's os vista

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm having trouble connecting to the internet on my other laptop, like it says it connected, but it's limited and then I diagnose the problem and it says that the wep key may be wrong or something in that line if someone could tell me how to get to the information on the IP and wep key and stuff like that I think I can figure it out, maybe... Btw it's os vista

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.