"Update for Windows Vista (KB932246)
Installation date: ‎4/‎4/‎2007 10:53 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80242006
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to address a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Vista. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=83284
More information:
http://support.microsoft.com"

ive looked everywhere for an answer to this problem, so here it goes.

ive tried installing it many times, by using windows update and by using the direct file from windows.com....neither work.

what can i do!!!??

any help is greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes:

The below address will show you how to go to the microsoft updates catalog, where you can search for that particular update and manually download it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323166

Once you've saved it to your desktop it will probably me a lot easier to work with. Manually installing it might work fine, or maybe you may need to elevate it and run it as an administrator, or maybe there's a small chance it might install in safe mode. I'm not sure that this will work for you but regardless having the update as an executable file on your desktop to work with has to be easier than relying on windows update each time as far as troubleshooting is concerned.

ive tried all those things

and it doesnt let me install updates in safe mode

well mcse.ms and techarena.in forums have lots of similar people having similar problems and there are no answers for them. And of course as expected microsoft's support pages don't appear to be aware of the problem or offer a solution.

No one currently seems to have any answers, and those posts go back for about 4 weeks.

I wish I could be of more help but I got nothing, as do it seems a lot of other people :(

If I come across anything, I'll post it here, if you find a solution please let us know.

well mcse.ms and techarena.in forums have lots of similar people having similar problems and there are no answers for them. And of course as expected microsoft's support pages don't appear to be aware of the problem or offer a solution.

No one currently seems to have any answers, and those posts go back for about 4 weeks.

I wish I could be of more help but I got nothing, as do it seems a lot of other people :(

If I come across anything, I'll post it here, if you find a solution please let us know.

hey thanks a lot

i appreciate the time you took to search things, and will be looking for a solution as well (and will post it is one is found)

again, thanks

"Update for Windows Vista (KB932246)
Installation date: ‎4/‎4/‎2007 10:53 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80242006

ive looked everywhere for an answer to this problem, so here it goes.

ive tried installing it many times, by using windows update and by using the direct file from windows.com....neither work.

Stop service wuauserv.
Delete/Rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
Start service wuauserv.
Try the update again.

Stop service wuauserv.
Delete/Rename %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
Start service wuauserv.
Try the update again.

thanks, seems to have removed the notification, which is fine with me even if its not installed because it seems not to effect anything on my computer anyway... so thanks!

Actually, after following those steps the update should be installed.

Don't know if this is the same thing, every time I log on, I get a little baloon saying updates are available...I click install and restart my computer like it says, and I immediately get another balloon saying updates are available, no matter how many times i install the update I constantly get the balloon upon logging in...will the tips stated above fix this?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.