I've had Vista installed for a few weeks now, really regretting the decision, as I even got a BSOD during installation a few times!, but recently it has been asking for third party drivers for EVERYTHING I plug into the USB, including my optical mouse!

I just seems to me the vista is missing all the legacy drivers. is this just my system, and does anybody know how to fix this?

I'm using a HP Compaq nx8220 laptop with vista business

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I am having the same problem. I wrote a nastygram to Microsoft tonight. I am on a Dell XPS system...Vista Business. I am really regretting my decision to upgrade from XP.

Post a reply if you get one!!

Same happens for me. Super annoying!!!
Dell XPS M1210 / Vista Ultimate

I've had Vista installed for a few weeks now, really regretting the decision, as I even got a BSOD during installation a few times!, but recently it has been asking for third party drivers for EVERYTHING I plug into the USB, including my optical mouse!

I just seems to me the vista is missing all the legacy drivers. is this just my system, and does anybody know how to fix this?

I'm using a HP Compaq nx8220 laptop with vista business

Stick in your vista cd next time, it will load the drivers

Plug in any devices you have. Open the start menu, right-click on "Computer", and select "Manage". On the left side of the window that comes up, select "Device Manager". Under "Other Devices" or "Unknown Devices" (can't remember which one it is...they should have a question-mark next to each), you should see a list of all "problem" peripherals. Do this for each: right click on the name, select "Update Driver Software", select "Browse my computer for software (manually)", and put in "C:\Windows\System32" as the path. Click "Next", and your computer should find the drivers. I know this is a pain in the butt, but at least there is some way to solve it.

-David

In addition to what Skidave suggested try enabling the finding of legacy devices so that each time you plug them in it will recognise and load the drivers once and for all......... Firstly right click on my computer, then left click on properties, then open the device manager, then find the USB port, open the drivers tab and select the box that says "enable legacy devices".

I hope that works cos it didn't even recognise the webcam i used on my 4 year old pc. That pc never asked to install drivers for the webcam but on my laptop i have to install drivers to use the webcam for which i dont even have the disc anymore thinkin that i might never need it as newer windows would be better than the older ones. Anyways thats my story. but ill try the suggestions of enabling legacy drivers, see what happens.

Raj

I've tried all of the above, but no joy. Could there be a problem with my Vista installation?

.. sorry

Oh, don't apologize! It's me, not you!

Oh, don't apologize! It's me, not you!

:) dont worry i posted something that was already said before and i couldnt delete it

I'm just so frustrated with Vista. It seems with USB being so ubiquitous that they would have better support for USB devices. Well, doesn't it?

Vista just seems unfinished to me. I think SP1 will fix its problems much like SP2 did for XP

Plug in any devices you have. Open the start menu, right-click on "Computer", and select "Manage". On the left side of the window that comes up, select "Device Manager". Under "Other Devices" or "Unknown Devices" (can't remember which one it is...they should have a question-mark next to each), you should see a list of all "problem" peripherals. Do this for each: right click on the name, select "Update Driver Software", select "Browse my computer for software (manually)", and put in "C:\Windows\System32" as the path. Click "Next", and your computer should find the drivers. I know this is a pain in the butt, but at least there is some way to solve it.

-David

David, THANK YOU for this. I was wracking my brains and you solved my problem.
THANKS!!!!

My two identical HP dv6426us notebooks simultaneously developed the Plug and Play problem discussed in the thread above. Both came pre-loaded with Vista Home Premium, so I have no Vista discs. I’ve had both one month. The “work-around” suggested by David works brilliantly: Simply tell the machines to look in their own \System32\! This eventually, however, becomes tedious, and things long familiar suddenly may become “Unknown Devices” upon re-boot, such as external mouse, keyboard and SD memory devices. This all seemed to begin after recent HP and Vista updates, or not. My question is, has anyone discovered a permanent fix?

stupid question i know, but have you tried diffrent usb ports? my mouse which is already installed will give me problems if i unplug it and plug it into the wrong usb. and all of them work, thumbdrives and what not no problem, but certian things like to argue.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I’ve considered USB “mapping” issues – seems if Vista is such a “smart” operating system, it would be flexible with “what gets plugged where.” My problem is Vista constantly asks for drivers for all ports, not just USB, like SD memory cards and even my HP notebook’s whiz bang “expansion port.”
I ran a startup repair - no problems were detected.
I reset BIOS defaults since existing BIOS is the most current.
I searched all the usbstor.* files; they seem up to date and in the right places, but yes, they were changed by the recent Vista updates that seemed to start the problem.
I have not deleted my INFCACHE.1, as some have suggested, as that doesn’t seem to be a permanent fix.
It’s not that the drivers Vista claims to need are not there, Vista is not looking in the right places.
Vista asks for drivers for things that don’t need drivers, like printer cables which it considers “Unknown IEEE-1284 Controller” devices.
The best workaround I’ve found is just to click “Remind me later” in the driver prompt panel. The device then generally works. But, if you click the option “Don’t ask me again,” Mother Vista shuts off the device.
I’ve discovered this driver jones is a fairly common problem with Vista. Others have fixed it by doing a System Restore to an earlier point, however my System Restore refuses to go back before the incident.
This did seem to start after recent Vista updates. My hope is subsequent updates will eventually fix it. That, or the long anticipated Service Pack 1.
I thought PCs were supposed to serve us. I seem to be working overtime to please Miss Vista.
Sorry for the long response, but since I posted my problem, I thought I’d update what I’ve tried.

i have a new lite on dvd burner. the computer will not see it as a burner only as a hd drive. the company does not have a direct drive and i have been informed that it is a plug and play. any thought on this issue.

Okay I did everything, but when I try to update the driver it says that ... "Windows has determined that the driver for your device is up to date." ...
I have a logitech trackman marble mouse and I've downloaded the newest version of set point...after uninstalling it and called tech support who told me to do the same thing.
It's gotta be the vista ...

having the same problem with vsta it reads the cd when inserted but will not show the drive in my computer

so i cant make a recovery disc
not showing usb drives either

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.